Best area to open a small guesthouse

Hi

I am thinking of opening a small guesthouse in the future, somewhere in Spain. I would like to be in a quiet, natural environment (not a villa to villa suburb) but also somewhere within or close to a small town or village. Obviously it needs to be a tourist friendly area but I would like to aim for a quieter tourist, someone interested in relaxing in a peaceful setting and visiting local points of interest. Not the hen party or clubbing type.
My first thought is Menorca.
What does anyone think? Any feedback on living in Menorca welcome. Or any other ideas?
I would love to hear your opinions on this.

I was about to suggest Mallorca, Menorca or Ibiza. No shortage of customers!

How easy is it living there if you only speak English? Obviously I would learn Spanish but that would take a while.

I don't live there (only mainland Spain), but have visited Mallorca and  you could certainly get by not speaking any spanish. Certainly better than the mainland. However setting up a business may be a different story cause you'll need to look over bank info, understand tax info etc. Though maybe you just find an English speaking lawyer and accountant and job done!

In terms of costs, is there an island that you'd recommend above the others? Is there one that makes more sense business wise?

Hi there!! I would suggest Murcia region! It's cheap, tourist friendly, not crowded, nice coast areas and you can enjoy lovely weather the whole year!! 3.000 hours of sun a year!! *** and I'll be more than happy to help you!!

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please register yourself in the business directory. Thank you

Thank you. I have bear it in mind. Have a good day.

Hi. I established a small guest house in 2011, having spent 4 years renovating and updating the house. I have 3 double rooms and some camping area. All licences and permissions are in place and it is listed as a CasaRural, the highest standard of guest houses in Andalucia. I am 1 hour from Granada, 75mins from Cordoba, 2 hours from Sevilla and 90 mins north of Malaga. I have visitors from all over the world and have had guests in every month of the year. CasaQuince sits 760metres above sea level on a good mountain road with spectacular views. It is listed in Airbnb under Spain, Andalucia or Alcala La Real and there is a Casaquince Facebook page. It is also for sale. I am alone here and at 71 years of age finding it harder to keep it up to scratch. I would like it to continue as a business. With good marketing and its own web-site a very good business could be established, although I have tried to keep it at 'hobby' level as I don't want to work full-time.  Happy to talk about it or any other aspects of setting up a guest house/b&b.

Keith