Best time to visit ? Is it legal to look for jobs with tourist visa?

Hello There :)
Am Rayhana Sudanese born & living in Egypt. Am new here
Planing to visit China and look for job there.. I wonder what's the best time to visit during winter plus is it legal to look for jobs with tourist visa?
Thanks in advance
Have a good day

Hello Rayhana. Glad to meet you on this site.  Please come to China.  I've been here for 20 years and still find it amazing. It's a fascinating country with more things to do than you ever thought possible.  However, winters here can be brutal, especially since you coming from a warm country, the transition might be too great.  You should know the pollution from coal-fired factories and furnaces that heat the homes in Beijing and in the north of China cause a great deal of choking pollution.
For interesting things to do during the winter I could recommend the Winter Ice Festival In Harbin in the northeaster province of Heilongjiang. Another interesting place would be Jiuzhaigou in Sichuan province. It has beautiful forests, rivers and waterfalls that really captivate the visitor.  Many of the inhabitants in that area are Tibetan, so you will be able to experience some small-scale Tibetan activities, culture and food. It's cold there in winter, but the scenes are extraordinary.
If you could indicate some of your interest, I would be pleased to recommend other places to visit.

Since you will be here on a Tourist visa, DO NOT look for a job under any circumstances. Currently, the Public Security Bureau, the organization that regulates foreigners entrances and exits to China are seeking out those foreigners who are working here illegally, especially teachers.  229 have recently been arrested and we expect many more will be swept up in the crackdown.  The police publish fake advertisements to lure would-be teachers and other foreigners who want to work.  Once invited to the interview, they will then ask a number of questions to determine whether you have the right to work here along with the required educational credentials.

If you haven't the right they will arrest you, confiscate your passport, jail you for between 10 and 30 days, then deport you, never able to renter the country.

Please continue this conversation.

Regards,

David

Hi
Don't try to visit China now
Maybe after march
These months very cold

xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello David :)
Thank you for your reply :)
Wow 20 years that's quite long time.. From what your saying I will think about it and I guess it's better to visit in Summer time
Am confused about the visa thing cause I got an offer to work as translator but they said they can't offer me Zvisa that Its OK to travel their with tourist visa and they can get me business visa not Zvisa I don't know it's just complicated....
Any how thanks again for the great information. Have a good day :)

Hello There :)
Thank you for your reply
Yeah I think it's better for me to visit in summer time :)
Have a great day

This is an interesting topic. My past work experience in China is really out-of-date; we always had business relationships with state agencies who looked after our status when in country, and we were employed and paid by corporate entities outside of China. I imagine you have to be more careful about your legal status, especially if you will receive $ or other taxable compensation inside China from a Chinese entity.

I think there is more commercial and service activity in the shadows now, probably some don't really play by (or even know) the rules. If that is so, one needs to do due-diligence on the apparent work scenario. If you have potential concerns or uncertainties, maybe ask the Chinese entity about their accountant or CFO, or lawyer, and if you could have a chat with that person about your work status. Research and get your question list.  It might be a mistake to just assume what they propose or offer is correct and legal.

Hello there :)
Thank you for your reply.
You right I searched more about it it's 100% illegal.
So I will wait till summer time and visit until then if I got a good offer that come with work permit I will take it.
Thanks again :)

Every season is unique and beautiful in its own way. The mood and activities change, the ratio of indoor vs. outdoor changes, people are often easier to meet and connect with when battling the elements together. Here in Dalian we have a Mediterranean climate like southern France, except in winter when periodic north winds bring icy cold from Mongolia.  It alternates back and fourth. Beijing is a bit more continental. Hainan Island in the south doesn't really have seasonal extremes. Shanhgai is between these locations.

If you are used to a place that doesn't have much seasonal variation you might find it interesting to experience a winter-->spring. I once worked outdoor jobs on the Canadian Arctic ocean in winter, and it was lovely, in a big red down-filled Canada Goose work parka with wolf fur trim, next sun rise delayed for a couple of months. The people make it (or not).

So of course it's illegal to work here with a tourist visa. But it's illegal to look for jobs with a tourist visa? Even with the intention of waiting until you have the proper visa to work? As in, you can't be here, apply to jobs, and go to interview on a tourist visa?  I wonder if this is a gray area

Ray_hana wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
You right I searched more about it it's 100% illegal.
So I will wait till summer time and visit until then if I got a good offer that come with work permit I will take it.
Thanks again :)

you can also search online, google a bit, learn about their culture, and get a job before u fly there.
not easy, but possible =)

I think the key would be making up-front and full disclosure about your current status to the hiring or interviewing party, so they are under no misconceptions. That should greatly reduce and risk and enable correct actions going forwards on both sides. 

There is a Chinese saying that "The Dragon in the sky cannot see the snake on the ground", however, buying into that implies you Already Know there is risk in a course of action, such as working without all the paperwork in order, but assume little or no chance of a negative consequence.  If you have hesitation or concerns you are probably standing at the crossroads, looking at the turn into the Raglan Road. This famous poem goes:

On Raglan Road on an Autumn day
I saw her first, And Knew,
that her dark hair would weave a snare
That I might one day rue
I Saw The Danger yet I walked
Along the enchanted way
and said let grief be a falling leaf
at the dawning of the day

Proper entry to work makes good work. Expect consistency from beginning to end in all things, that is until crisis and paradigm shift change the self and its environment.

Thank you for your reply..
I will just visit for couple of weeks with tourist visa won't look for job.
Merry Christmas :)

Hey there :)
Yes that's what am doing already reading about the Chinese culture plus trying to find a place to study the language..
Thank you again.. Merry X'mas :)

Wa what a great poem :)
Yeah you right about it.. I changed my mind after reading all the comments so am not gonna risk looking for job with tourist visa.
I will just visit the country as tourist and won't look for job..
Happy holiday & Merry Christmas :)

When in China or anywhere it would be natural to seek you bright future, develop contacts, make real  future plans. It could be disappointing not to encounter the expected opportunities and talk about beginning a process leading to a future professional relationship. Its really a question of how far its appropriate to go under your current circumstances, and what outstanding applications and other actions are required. China is fast and can be efficient. The party that recognizes something unique that you offer might get things in order quicker than you think possible. You can have an informal portfolio, prepared lecture, or demonstration, some way to show your experience and training to any connections that appear. I think the first paragraph in my previous post is also relevant.

Thank you so much for the great information I'll follow your advice..
Have a great day :)