Medicare

Are U. S. expats residing  in the Philippines covered by Medicare?   When I worked for the U.S. Dept. of Defense in Germany and one time had to be hospitalized, part of the cost was covered by Medicare and part by my private health insurance.   I think that's because I was employed by the U.S. Government.   Yet, Medicare (here in the US) told my wife that if she decides to retire overseas...in a foreign country, she wouldn't be covered by Medicare.  Our private health insurance will always cover us no matter where we live overseas, so that's not a problem.  Just not sure about Medicare.  Can anyone give us the scoop on this in the Philippines?

FCStraight wrote:

Are U. S. expats residing  in the Philippines covered by Medicare?   When I worked for the U.S. Dept. of Defense in Germany and one time had to be hospitalized, part of the cost was covered by Medicare and part by my private health insurance.   I think that's because I was employed by the U.S. Government.   Yet, Medicare (here in the US) told my wife that if she decides to retire overseas...in a foreign country, she wouldn't be covered by Medicare.  Our private health insurance will always cover us no matter where we live overseas, so that's not a problem.  Just not sure about Medicare.  Can anyone give us the scoop on this in the Philippines?

FC,

The short answer is NO.   Your can find the details in the link below.  One gentleman who spends a few months of the year in the Philippines and the rest in the states found he still had coverage with the exception of Part D.

There is a group pushing for coverage of expats and repatriated Filipinos and they have been lobbying congress for a change in coverage rules. 

Medicare link:
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

What is covered and under what conditions if you return to the US for care:
http://www.elderlawanswers.com/getting- … rseas-8229

Regards,

TeeJay

Thanks, TJ.   You're a valuable wealth of information!   Have an idea...there is a branch of my credit union in Guam.   In fact, on one of my trips to the Philippines....I simply used my ATM card to withdraw small amounts from my account.   And it's only a short flight from Manila should it be necessary for me to be there in person.

FC,

You are welcome, glad the info was of some help to you.

Regards,

TeeJay

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : promoting your services on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct