Army service for male with poor greek language skills

Hi all, I recently moved to Greece. I now have my Greek ID card and need to register with the army before I reach  my 6 months(Feb 2011) so that I can do a limited duty of 3 months.

Does anyone know where they will place me since I dont speak the language well?

Also I am 33 and going to the army even for just 3 months may make it impossible for my wife to stay because of the loss of income.

Anyones suggestions or experiance would be appreciated

Welcome to Expat.com ntzanis ;)

I hope you will obtain some responses & suggestions pretty soon.

Regards

Hello, im done with my army service in 3 days. We also have a greek american that is serving for only 3 months. They will probably send you at an army base near your house were things are calm and civilized, just like they did to my co-army man. Wish you the best of luck.

Thank you Bli. Is it true that you spend your first 40 days somewhere different from the rest of your term? Also Do you do your health exam before you are placed somewhere? The reason i ask is because im being treated for a medical condition that may not allow me to handle arms and do excessive excercie. Thanks for your time. Congrats on completing your service. How did you like it?

Hey, I'm a Greek-American and I became a Greek citizen when I was 17 cause I decided to go to college in Athens. Can someone tell me how I can get my army service shortened to three months?