Sports in Cyprus

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in Cyprus?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in Cyprus?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Since the island is ridiculously hot in the summer, our sporting activities revolve around anything aquatic. Mediterranean waves do not equal Ocean waves, so regular surfing is out of the question. (You pretty much stand on a board and hope a passing jet ski will push you forward). But the wind in certain coves are great! So instead of regular surfing, kite surfing is big here, as is Parasailing! Super fun and hard to control, the large sails capture the winds and have us sailing across the placid blue waters.

The other big summer activity: scuba diving! Most islanders love donning their wet suits and dipping into the deep waters to check out the friendly fish, octopus, and other marine life. Scuba season is open from March to October (sometimes even November) in Cyprus.

In the cooler Spring and Fall months, many of us enjoy the sunny yet dry weather outdoors. Hiking and trekking clubs abound and are a real community activity. Trekking clubs organize weekly treks through old villages, through mountainous terrain on every single Saturday and/or Sunday morning. The alternative to trekking is a more aggressive sport that is (slowly) gaining in popularity: rock climbing. We have amazing craggy mountains that are good for every level of climbers. Rock climbing is still a new sport our part of the Mediterranean, but adventure seekers are blazing new trails.

I love my sporty island!
Thanks,
Claudia

Hi. I'm just about to move to the Peyia area just outside Pafos.
Are there any hiking or walking clubs near me

Thanks