Adapting to the climate in Greece

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Greece is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Greece?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Greece?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

The Greek climate has certainly changed over the last decade or so,much higher summer and autumn temperatures being experienced,especially in central and southern Greece.Every year is different of course but for sure the summer temperatures are soaring and people are coming to see them as common-place and not always confirmed as a heat wave.North and middle Greece does seem to have lower winter temperatures due to mountain ranges and does receive snow mostly every winter for prolonged periods,sometimes quite early on.I hear people complaining of the humidity here in Athens for the last few days,which doesnt help when its hellishly hot.like now.From May 2015 until now very little rain has fallen in the Attiki area,the winter was very dry with October and November being rather lovely and warm but the lack of rain was worrying.For most people the air conditioning unit will be a must,the night hours are hellish as the concrete and bricks of the house will soak up all the heat during the day and then act like a night-storage heater, only with reverse action,and you boil all night as it pumps out.Of course any work place will have air conditioning so one doesnt leave work looking like a wet rag,some people cannot tolerate air conditioning and suffer varies problems like" dry eye" which requires continued drops.Some health problems may be difficult in such high temperatures so best to reside where there is a cooling wind blowing and of course its better not to be in a city during the summer because of the pollution and heat.I see that every weekend here the Greeks drive off to a cottage if it is nearby.Athens does of course empty out pretty much in August leaving less traffic in the center.But overall the Greek climate is wonderful and those summer nights are just too good to miss and when I am at my cottage on the bay of Corinthos I often fall asleep on my swinging chair because the night and the calling night birds are just too lovely to leave behind.