My dream to study in Germany is dying, I need help.

Hello , 
Greetings. I am bethiano, from Nigeria. I have had this German dream for four years now. Since 2014 I have been applying to German universities. I get a minimum of 3 admission offers every year I apply, but I have not been able to live this dream of gaining  a German education due to insufficient funds.

This year I have received two admission offers already, for master of science programmes at the university of Göttingen (Hydrogeology and Environmental Geoscience, HEG) and university of Freiburg (Environmental Science: Bioenergy and Biomaterials) which begins this winter semester, september/october 2016.

I do not want to lose this opportunity any more, I am afraid my dreams are dying in my hands. I had to cry out.

Germany has given me this opportunity to gain world class knowledge, comparable or even higher than what is obtainable in ivy league universities in America, all tuition free. What more could one be asking for?

I appreciate what Germany as a nation have done to give the  world access to German technology and knowledge via education. In my own case, coming from a developing country where the economic situation is hopeless, with no sense of direction and purpose. Surely, scenarios are different, world's are apart, raising 8640 euros is a big deal for me.

As part of requirements for visa, the German consulate demands proof of funding which could be any of the following;
1) 8640 euros blocked in an account  with Deutsche Bank.
2) scholarship from any organisation in Europe
3) letter of sponsorship from a German resident/citizen.

Dear expat members, I am searching for local charity/non profit/ donor organisations in Göttingen, Freiburg or the entire Germany that could sponsor my education .
I want to write them explaining my ordeal and frustration and hope for the best.

Please, kindly assist me with their website, email or surface mail address.

Should you have any other information to help my course, don't hesitate to share with me.
I will be glad.

Thanks

Yours truly

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Instead of asking strangers on the Internet to finance your studies (which I am sure nobody will), you should apply for scholarships. Here is a site explaining how, and linking to a database of scholarships in Germany:
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/de/
Note: Most scholarships are only available for very good students with proven track record. You also need good German language skills, but those are anyways needed to follow lectures in German.
Good luck!

I will also suggest DAAD like beppi...

While we are at it -
My dream is to get a cruising yacht : http://www.ibackgroundwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cruising-yacht-wallpaper.jpg

Might call it Prospero after the Tempest play.
My deam is 5 years old and hence has priority.

In contrast, an unkown family member passed away in Nigeria , who left me with 380m€. They want to pay it out now - but require 20k€ to "get the gears rolling". If you can give them that 20k€ which they also don't have we can share the payout of the non-existent 380m€.

I have also not done anything specific to earn it - but a miracle is highly welcomed.

Go to the DAAD website & apply for scholarships. Focus your energies on getting a scholarship instead of asking strangers to finance your studies. Good luck

@ jonnes . I understand your point.

Thank you.

I know about Daad.
Know that Daad have target programmes for different countries. Daad does not sponsor students for every course of study.

Note that , I was asking for email address or web links of 'charity organisations' in those cities who support international students not individuals.

Information they say is key, there may be opportunities which I may not know about. The internet is massive, one may not come across all suitable scholarship or sponsorship opportunities.

So I thought it wise to ask people in Germany to share,if they have any information.

I thought this forum was for information sharing, perhaps I was wrong.

Check out the following:
1. www.obs-ev.de
Otto Benecke Stiftung e.V

2. www.boell.de/studienwerk
Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung e.V

3. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung e.V
E-Mail: [email protected]
www.kas.de

4. Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
www.boeckler.de

I hope the above 4 organisations will be helpful to you.

That's exactly what we did: Giving you information you might not have had before!
The DAAD database of scholarships is very comprehensive and you are best advised to check it.
Other than that, you can ask at the foreign students office of the university you want to study at, whether there are additional ways of financial assistance.

bethiano wrote:

I know about Daad.
Know that Daad have target programmes for different countries. Daad does not sponsor students for every course of study.

Note that , I was asking for email address or web links of 'charity organisations' in those cities who support international students not individuals.

So I thought it wise to ask people in Germany to share,if they have any information.

I thought this forum was for information sharing, perhaps I was wrong.

Well your 'mistake' was telling us you're Nigerian and talking about "funds" in the same paragraph. As a result, you were probably immediately dismissed as a scammer before the rest was even read. It appears being Nigerian and the mention of funds is a problem. I have no idea why. And no, I don't suggest you pretend to be someone else. Next time, just simply say, guys I want to study in Germany. Tell me about the scholarships, and any relevant info for students who can't meet the standard entry requirements etc

Yes, it is sad that just because a few Nigerians are world champions in Internet fraud and scams (and the country's dysfunctional police seems to not do anything about it), all Nigerians have to suffer mistrust and prejidice.
I wish you and your countrymen that this would change!

Honestly, the chances of finding someone to sponsor you - unless you are potentially a world class academic are very unlikely. Like mentioned, people are skeptical because there is so much fraud, especially from Nigeria. The other factor is that there are plenty of people in Germany that struggle to finance their studies – and now there are a million extra refugees that have arrived over the last couple of years. They all need help with the language, integration and to find jobs or to study. Even for a well off country like Germany, this is a massive effort. Most charitable efforts will go to help the refugees here or helping people to keep from starving in war zones. That there will be much opportunity left for a foreigner without refugee status to come to Germany to study without financing it himself just because it is his or her dream is doubtful.

TominStuttgart wrote:

The other factor is that there are plenty of people in Germany that struggle to finance their studies

That's a good point. My brother is considering studying in Germany or elsewhere in the continent given the cost of tuition fees (trebled) in the UK. It appears to me people from outside, don't know, or don't care, that many EU nationals themselves share many of the dreams they have, and could do with some support. If the citizens are struggling for it, what chance do they think they will have of getting all the help they are after. As you said, one must be a world class academic or something pretty special. Bethiano - there are plenty of people with that dream living in Europe, who would love to get the help you're after. Maybe a reality check is in order.