Looking for Furnished Apt. to rent in Smouha, San Stefano, and more...

Hello to my friends in Egypt.  I am new this this Expat.com. I returned from visiting Egypt this year 2010, and spent the brunt of my time in Alexandria (Alex).  I rented an Apt. on El Guish one block from the Four Seasons Hotel.  Loved it!!!

The Facts:

1.  I am a single man, newly retired as of 09/01/2009. I live off of my Pension and Social Security, and enjoy a comfortable two bedroom Apartment one block from the Atlantic ocean.

2.  I am bored!  I do not like where I live;  I visited Alexandria, met some wonderful people and made some new friends, and KNEW in my heart this was the City I wanted to live in.

3.  I have 3 concerns:

a.  I wish to live in Alex, and permanently move in either 2012 or 2013 to live in this wonderful City.
    b.  I need to know if it is easily possible for me to secure a Visa to live in Egypt on a permanent basis?  If so, who do I see, and how do I go about this?
    c.  I have private Health Insurance, which will accept any bills I submit to them while living in Egypt.  However my supplemental insurance (Medicare) can not be used outside of the USA.  Consequently I need to secure Medical Insurance in Alexandria.  I saw something about this already on this website.
    d.  I would like to rent a furnished two-bedroom Apartment in either San Stefano, Smouha, Gleem or Mostafa Kamel.  Preferrably San Stefano or Smouha would be perfect for me.
    3.  I am willing to rent anywhere from $3,000.00 l.e. to $7,500.00 l.e. per month.  The Apartment should have A/C in at least one of the bedrooms.  Also, I would like to located close to El Guish or if possible not too far from the San Stefano Mall.  A taxi cab ride away, if not a good 15-20 minute walk.

I worked for The Salvation Army for 38 years plus.  I have given my life in service to people, and now in my retirement years I would enjoy the comfort and leisure of Alex.

I hope someone will be kind enough to assist me in finding an Apt. that I could live in.  Secondly, I know I have to get Visa clearance.  Some help on this would be great

Thank you.  I am studying Arabic at home using Pimsleur 30 Egyptian Arabic Language Lessons (16 compact discs).  I have some new friends in Egypt, but I need help in locating an Apartment for retirement in 2012.  I will be spending 4 months in Alexandria from September 1 - December 29, 2011.

PLEASE HELP ME -  I DESPERATELY WANT TO LIVE IN ALEXANDRIA!!

Brian J. Figueroa
email:  [email protected]
Asbury Park, New Jersey 07712
Telephone # provided upon request.

Welcome to the forum Brian ;)

I hope other members will answer your various queries soon by contributing to your discussion. :)

My best Regards ;)

Thanks Yud.  I appreciate your kindness in responding to me. I welcome any additional help as far as locating a rental in Alex for 2012...i refer to a more permanent rental, since i plan to move to Alex to live.

With every good wish, and happiness for the New Year 2011.

Sincerely,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Based on what I read in your message, I assume you are currently in Egypt.  Is that correct?

Have you found what you are looking for etc.?

Wish you all the best.

Hi there,
I am here to help you, and i am locating  at Smouha square and i am working as mechanical engineer, if you would like to have some help, call me at 01284185222 i can help you find your requirment here.
hope you the best of luck as usual

b.  I need to know if it is easily possible for me to secure a Visa to live in Egypt on a permanent basis?  If so, who do I see, and how do I go about this?

You need to purchase an apartment, not rent, to secure a residence visa .... Price must be $50K+, you must provide proof of transfer of foreign currency to your bank account in Egypt, contract must be notarized and "registered" .....

Other avenues of residence include work visa (need sponsorship by employer), legal marriage to an Egyptian national, sponsorship by a first-degree relative resident/citizen (for instance, my wife, who holds a 5-year residence visa, sponsored her mom for a 1-year visa),  retirement in retirement homes, student visas (require letter from university)...... Also long term tourist visas can be obtained and visa trips can be used to extend them (you can fly cheap from Alexandria Burg El Arab - HBE airport to any near destination such as Jordan for a day or two and come back) ....

c.  I have private Health Insurance, which will accept any bills I submit to them while living in Egypt.  However my supplemental insurance (Medicare) can not be used outside of the USA.  Consequently I need to secure Medical Insurance in Alexandria.  I saw something about this already on this website.

Private health insurance in Egypt is outrageously expensive unless purchased in large groups (such as Group Medical Insurance purchased by corporations and provided by them for their employees and their dependents) ..... Plus, most insurers in Egypt avoid 60+ persons (and there is no law against this .... Private insurance in Egypt is considered an at-will transaction) .....

dear have a great day

regarding to flat in Alexandria for a long term rental here. Does  budget is 2500LE - 3500LE per month max

about visa you can take 1-year visa easy and every year you renew

Am new also  in Alexandria and i am Looking for Flatmate to sharing  in ALexandria for one year if you like we can share if not its ok i can help you to get your  flat

i know a lot of very good flat in alexandria

Thanks
PINO

[Moderated]

3.  I have 3 concerns:

a.  I wish to live in Alex, and permanently move in either 2012 or 2013 to live in this wonderful City.

I agree it is the most beautiful place in the world.

Visa's in Egypt used to be very easily gotten the only thing I can tell you is that you should apply before you go at the embassy near you or in NYC/DC.  The fact is the laws of Egypt have changed for expats and many expats that had businesses lost their visas and had to leave.

Well if you already have medical insurance that is for World Wide I wouldnt worry about it. Otherwise the best medical is thru Bupa.

d.  I would like to rent a furnished two-bedroom Apartment in either San Stefano, Smouha, Gleem or Mostafa Kamel.  Preferrably San Stefano or Smouha would be perfect for me.

My family and I live in Smouha its beautiful close to the beach.  San Stefano has a bit of nice area but much of it is low class.  I would suggest that you check out smouha.

3.  I am willing to rent anywhere from $3,000.00 l.e. to $7,500.00 l.e. per month.  The Apartment should have A/C in at least one of the bedrooms.  Also, I would like to located close to El Guish or if possible not too far from the San Stefano Mall.  A taxi cab ride away, if not a good 15-20 minute walk.

I would suggest that you get you a real estate agent to check the prices in the area. HOWEVER remember you will NOT pay in LE you will pay in Dollars unfortunately because you are not Egyptian or married to an Egyptian you will pay in dollars unless you have a very close egyptian friend that owns a place However, I will say that when you take a lease because your foreign no matter what the price will automatically go to dollars.  The prices you can expect to pay would be around the 7500LE mark because of this reason.

BTW I would like to say that BUPA is not that expensive. It is about the same you pay in USA 250-300 a month for world wide would cover you in Egypt and all the Middle East as well as the USA.

Very informative....
What does a 2 bedroom apartment cost in a decent area in Alexandria to buy? Any ideas?

I'm thinking of moving there to learn Arabic and trade Forex.....
I could perhaps teach English(I could study the CELTA course before i leave) as I'm a native UK person and i work with computers.
Anyway i think I'll just ask about buying a flat first!

Why not rent first? You will know if you like to live in Egypt and you will have the time to look around for an apartment... If you want to teach English, find the job before you live in Egypt, you will have an expat package.

In answer to your message in my inbox about what an expat package is: did you try to Google it?