Possible relocation to Cuenca

Due to the high cost to live in the US, my family is thinking about relocating to Ecuador (Cuenca). With the type of business we are involved in we feel we can make the same amount of money there that we could in the US but with the difference in the cost of living have a better life style for our family.

This forum appears to have some really good information both from residents as well as those who previosuly lived in Ecuador. I have a few questions that I would like to share the answers with my family. I hope those of you who view this post can answer then as I try to keep this as short as possible:

* How safe is Cuenca? We have five children and all younger then teenagers. Should there be any concern for any of us outside of the "common sense" approach used in any sizebale city?

* The business we are in can be run just about anywhere in the world with internet and a landline. What are costs of landlines in Ecuador as it relates to calls to the US? Is Skype or any other internet phone service available and does the local provider limit calls to US?

* What would a 6 bedroom - 3 or 4 bath home cost to rent? Buy? Are the internet prices we see the actual prices the market supports or are they lower to purchase as is the case with many international properties sold via the internet?

* How are the hospitals? With five younger children are their any concrns with the healthcare? My father in law has had prior bypass surgery. In the event of an emergency are the hospitals capable of handling heart attacks as they are in the US?

* Our son is autistic. He currently undergoes 6-8 hours a week for physical, occupational and speech therapy. Are there therapists in Cuenca who are capable of working with him in English as it relates to his autism and development needs? 

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions as we look at options for our family and the high costs associated in the US.

Welcome to the forum 1984_26 :)

I hope other members will share their experiences and advise you accordingly by contributing to your discussion and responding to your various queries :)!

Wish you good luck ;)

Best Regards!

Howdy and welcome
Thats a mouth-full to answer but be sure to re-investigate any info out there as there is also a lot of misinformation bieng carried out by people in the RE.Industry whom are looking to personally gain by exploiting their Agenda. Cuenca is as safe as any growing City in SA. There are no ghettos as compared to other busttling cities in this region. However, there are only certain areas that expats or affluent cuencanos would dare to live. Night time would be advisable to stay within the city limits.

Rentals or Purchase of Homes etc are going up yearly especially with all the forignors, expats, returning Ecuadorians and high cost of land in cuenca. Beware also of all the speculation these individuals are participating in because this is over inflating the actual prices in rentals and home sales.

Internet provider are many, some good broadband depending on your monthly service plan. The basic slow modem usuage costing about 21USD a month.

Hospital and Clinics abound but you must be carful and search for a Specilized medical humanistic provider whom will be there in case of an emergency.

Autistic care providers are limited but available as this field is redeveloping into a more humanistic field that once was ignored.

Hope this anwers some of your questions. If you would like further info please contact me

Hello 1984_26

I live in Cuenca. I returned from Miami on 2003 and I'm not planning to leave again.

Cuenca is very safe, compared to the big cities in Ecuador like Quito or Guayaquil.

Like everywhere there are some bad areas you should stay away from, but they are well known.

As far as health, if you want, I can help you a lot with that, both of my parents in law are doctors, and they own an office in one of the best hospitals in town.
My father in law was the director of the IESS Hospital for 3 years, that is the hospital for public health.

I have a friend doctor in almos any area you may need, and I'll be happy to give you the contacts if you need.

As far as the autistic issue, I donŽt know anyone who works with that area in English. As you know, Ecuador is a spanish speaking country and it could be very hard to find someone who works in such an especific area english. I'm not saying there isn't, but not to my knowledge.

The house you are looking for is a little special, It's difficult to find a house that size for rent, but I'm sure there will be something you can use. I saw a new house yesterday for sale, $215.000 4 bedroom 4 bathroom with backyard in a nice area of town.  Just to give you an idea.

If you have any questions, I can help you.