Dealing with emergency situations in Greece

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in Greece face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in Greece?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in Greece, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

You have to remember that A&E services rotate around the Athens hospitals and probably elsewhere,which I find strange as I believe that that type of care needs special organisation, space ,doctors and equipment set up as a permanent thing.You would need to ring a certain number to be told where the A&E is today,which hospital?Stressful,last winter I fell backwards on my garden concrete path,when you fall forwards you put your hands out but backwards is treacherous,the sound of the smash was too loud and scary,I felt my left side jaw push out and my whole face went over on one side,then a huge horn starting swelling up at the back,luckily my husband was with a friend nearby,we drove to our nearest hospital in Hithari where we had been before for emergency only to be told..no emergency here today,other side of Athens..well to tell you that if you go with any emergency to your head or heart you must shout out immediately you enter and they will whisk you in on the spot for examination,A&E here in Athens is like going to the hell.You must be seen immediately.I was tested and sent to a facial surgeon at yet another hospital in the middle of the night.I was lucky because instead to fracture the pressure spread through the jaw,it later went back.Of course emergencies are always difficult if you dont have full use of the language.Always keep a radio taxi number at hand in the house together with some cash should you be in a difficult situation,ambulances can often take too long.Fire,ambulance and police all have different numbers so also keep these handy by your phone as too hard to remember under stress,these I believe can be found on line.Remember keep cash for the payment to the hospital as the public want a small fee which increases with each test done.