Dealing with emergency situations in China

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in China face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in China?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in China, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

If you are American, keep handy contact emergency numers for them. Americans care about their citizens abroad. If you are British or NZ I wouldn't waste your time. Most of the diplomats are too busy brown nosing and feathering their own nests.. I can't vouch for other countries.
If you have an accident here, get yourself to an emergency room as quickly as possible. If you are "smaller" than the other vehicle involved in the accident, their insurace will cover you. Do not let them bullshit you about your responsibility. If you are a driver without a license or insurance then you deserve whatever you get.
Basically the Police here will take the side of the Chinese person involved with you in the accident. You wil have to be loud and demonstrative otherwise they will walk all over you. Do not be scared of the police. They are afraid of problems and if you start making problems they will tend to be more reasonable.
RACISM.. There are two types of people on this planet.. There are Chinese and then there is everyone else. If you are not Chinese you are not really human in the Chinese sense. This is changing but annoyingly slowly. Mind you, The US banned racism there a long time ago.. The white cops are still okay with popping away at the blacks.
So, avoid situations where people have been drinking as they will form a mob and you could be in big trouble.
I have been locked up four times in China. I had not broken any rules but what I had done was upset some powerful people. Obviously had I really broke the law so many times I would have been thrown out of the country.
Thankfully those sort of people who abuse power are being wheedled out. The sooner the better and just recently I took the Traffic Police to court and won.
I'm very close to taking Telecom to court as they are failing to deliver bandwidth overseas. They have said they will take money from me for a better service.. This is extortion.
I'm 56 years old.. I have been here over 20 years I have a family (wife and two sons), property, boats, motorcycles and houses here, so it's up to you. If you want to scoff at what I say, you go for it.. Hopefully you'll not get into trouble.
Remember.. You can only reason with the reasonable.

Your write out mentioned the word RACiSM in capital letters.
It stated that.... If you are not Chinese you are not a human. If I was the chinese authority reading these words. I would of thrown you out of china and never allow you to enter again. I have lived in China for 4 years and the chinese people that I get in contact daily with, are more civilised than you. People like you china don't need. If your country is so good ? Go back to it.

Well done, Simsjk. I can only add one more ; register with your embassy as early as possible. Give embassy contact number to one of your close friend who knows your daily routines. If you are unfortunately involved in any authorities investigations regardless of yourself or someone you just know, you may need your friend to let embassy know immediately. Those investigation process may take long and no notice will to given unless embassy requests.

Easy dude. I think you interpreted wrong. Don't just read one sentence.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : message removed- inappropriate

See, that's R******. Don't you think?

Priscilla asks for your experiences and comments should you run into legal problems or embassy difficulties, and Simsjk turns it into a personal vendetta vs. China. **

Hi everybody,

Let's stick to the subject that i have launched please. It can be really useful for the expats. ;)

@ all > Thank you for your contribution so far.  :top:

Priscilla

Besides of your personal emergency numbers always have:
- a number of a Chinese friend who is willing to help you communicate in difficult situations
- Emergency  number of your embassy
- 114 for all kinds of inquiries like phone numbers, addresses, hotels and every thing else, with some luck you will get English service. (Don't know if this is national or only local number)
- last but not least: 110 Police, they should have English service as well