Bringing medication whilst on holiday in Malta

My wife and I are coming to Valletta for a week. We both use medication that is controlled in the UK: opiates, morphine, for pain problems. Are there special Malta regulations we will have to comply with?
Guidance welcomed.

My advise as it would be no matter where you go in the world.
Ask your doctor to provide a letter that advises that they are prescribed for you etc. then at least when you are queried you have a medical professional letter as backup

You should bring a letter with you as Jaques says and a copy of a prescription - they should be carried in a clear bag in your hand luggage and you should show them to security with the letter

If your moving to Malta - you will need to see a doctor and get them to fill in a white card form for you - this will need collecting from st Luke's hospital and you will need to give this to the doctor every time you need more medication and both doctor and pharmacist will sign

Without this you will only ever be given an emergency supply of 7 days worth

microlith wrote:

My wife and I are coming to Valletta for a week. We both use medication that is controlled in the UK: opiates, morphine, for pain problems. Are there special Malta regulations we will have to comply with?
Guidance welcomed.

Hi microlith.

I have had the same problem for years. Old 'war' wound hehe. I take Zormorph, Tramadol and Codine on a daily basis for my pain. Like Rob says, a letter from your GP will cover it. I have a standing letter I keep with my passport and on the supply side, I have stayed in Malta for 3 months at a time bringing with me a 'sizeable' amount. My GP prescibes enough for my stay (NHS rules say that you can be prescribed up to 3 months if necessary, but no more) and I just pack them in my bag.

So there you go...it can be done. However, be aware that some surgeries will charge you for that letter so if you plan to make this a regular thing then I would ask for a 'Generic and Open' type of letter that can be used over again.

Regards

MickyJoe

Thank you all for your very helpful comments, which have been duly noted. Next stop, the GP!

In case you are coming with Air Malta you should contact their Medical Helpdesk +356 22999296 in order to receive the clearence to bring them on board and to avoid any problems at the check in/customs.