The complete cultural shock in CR...........the SPECIFICS!

I have read that 50-60% of people from the USA who move to CR end up returning to the USA after about a year. 

But the explanations are usually somewhat general, saying that "everything is different", or "things aren't done on time".

Well, I am looking in Ecuador as well and got a pretty thorough response from an Ecuadoran with a USA husband.  Here are the highlights:

-dogs barking constantly
-can't trust people to give you the real story
-trash everywhere
-water making you sick
-fear:  feeling unsafe walking the streets
-insane driving
-can't trust the police
-takes forever to conduct business, esp with the authorities

From what I've heard the CR water is ok and it's generally safe, but the driving is pretty bad.

Looking for CR items from CR residents or visitors to elaborate on the "EVERYTHING" that is different in the culture, the specifics of everyday life that may drive someone to leave.

Any help appreciated.

Hi - your best bet is to read through the Expat.coms listed here.  Every blogger I know of posts at least a little bit of "ugh" about what bothers them.  Then decide whether that would bother you.
I remember reading a book on living abroad (sorry, forget the title).  It said that a successful expat handles failure well.  The funny thing to me was that I couldn't think of any failures in my life until I was talking to friends about that quote - one of them said "like a break-up, getting laid off, not getting accepted into the college you want, etc."  LOL - if any of those happened to you, and you don't remember having failures, then I'd say you handle failure pretty well!

Hi Julie, yea

Td
if you are looking for perfection, keep looking - ain't here
how much $ do you have ?
THAT will define your experience here, AND everywhere else
CR is fine IF you want to fit in, this is NOT your culture

Bill

Hey BillA,

If you can help me great, but you have some pretty negative assumptions about what I am asking here.

I didn't say I was looking for perfection (it doesn't exist) and I do not look for CR culture to bend to my wishes.  You say that "this is not your culture" as though I think it is.  Ease up.  I deal with multi-nationals daily and have a good grasp of people from everywhere.  My intention is to be part of any culture I move into. 

How much money do I have?  I have more than enough money.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm checking your blog now and then.  It is very helpful.

Td
no idea what you are seeking, nor was it clear from your post
it is assumed you speak Spanish

live among gringos or Ticos?
city, village, or country?
mountain or beach?

bars on windows do not equate with good security (in any country)
Ticos like dogs and many have them also as an alarm 'system'
-> dangerous to assume tap water is good to drink, for sure it is not where I live

as I was told here 25 years ago, my name is "Gringo Dollar";
Gringo because I am one, Dollar because it is assumed I have them and will be spreading them around.

rent a house for a while (visit it at night and listen to the dogs), move around; CR can be many different things
silence can be quite difficult to find - and maintain

Bill

I think it's a question of how easy is it for you to adapt to a different environment than the US.  A lot is different here, but I came because I wanted that.  Yes there were stressful times but I always had the attitude that I will get through them.

If you come here with an open mind and good spirits, you will enjoy your stay immensely.  I think some people go back because it isn't like the US, or maybe they could live here on only a few hundred a month. I know some gringos who buy a $3000 satellite dish just so they can have the exact same TV programming as in the states.  I think those people miss out on the beauty of living in a different country.

Come down, rent for a year, and see if you like it.  And if you don't, at least you gave yourself a great adventure.

happierthanabillionaire.com

-never get a straight answer from anyone, they even contradict themselves.  You can never really be sure that what you are hearing is really real or true.
-everything takes forever!! Especially anything to do with the buracracy.
-It is dirty and crowded in the towns and the shopping is very bad. It's hard to find anything of good quality.
-When you just want a good stake, it's really hard to come by and when you do find a real good stake house it's very expensive.
-everything you buy is about double or more from the States.
-it's hot
-the speed limits are very slow, it takes forever to get anywhere, even if you are on a good road because the speed limit is NEVER higher than 50!!!
-Gas is 5.00 a gallon!!
I am sure there is much more but I don't have time to keep going!!
Good Luck!

"-never get a straight answer from anyone, they even contradict themselves.  You can never really be sure that what you are hearing is really real or true."
quite true, much like retirement benefits descriptions in the US

"-everything takes forever!! Especially anything to do with the buracracy."
again, so true; I'm reminded of my wife's experiences with Immigration in the US

"-It is dirty and crowded in the towns and the shopping is very bad. It's hard to find anything of good quality."
I have to ask, why would someone come to Costa Rica and stay in a dirty and crowded town? If you want shopping, go to Panama; but note that it is now all the same cheap Chinese sh*t everywhere with different brand names.

"-When you just want a good stake, it's really hard to come by and when you do find a real good stake house it's very expensive."
And if you think those wooden stakes are expensive, try a silver bullet ! Food is food, suggest you go native a while.

"-everything you buy is about double or more from the States."
Well I would hope so, who is to pay for the shipping, duties, and profit?

"-it's hot"
Yup, thats why lots of us expats come here. Obviously you never lived in Houston -> without AC - outside working.

"-the speed limits are very slow, it takes forever to get anywhere, even if you are on a good road because the speed limit is NEVER higher than 50!!! "
Yup, and here, just like the US, everyone complies with the speed limit. There is more, the roads are SO bad, you really do not want to hit a big chuck-hole at even 50 kph.

"-Gas is 5.00 a gallon!!"
And 5 years from now $5/gal will be a vague memory, get ready.

"I am sure there is much more but I don't have time to keep going!!
Good Luck!"
Trust me, there is much more; yes, life is too short to have to worry about shopping.

I am reminded of a friend whose wife would go camping with him, she stayed at the nearest Hilton.

Bill

LOL - that's the way to stay healthy, Bill!

Here's what I can tell you. (I don't live there now but have lived there in the past and plan to live there again soon.)

Let's take this list that you stated fopr Ecuador first, and how it relates to Costa Rica:

-dogs barking constantly - if you live near others, yes. This is why I bought land that gives me some space around me. Ticos don't seem to be bothered by noise so add to dogs barking: children screaming, loud music, roosters crowing, etc.

-can't trust people to give you the real story - well yes, to some degree. Latinos in general like to exaggerate and Ticos don't like to insult you or say no, so sometimes they fib or don't tell it to you straight. They don't want to tell you they "don't know" so sometimes will pretend they know just to make you happy.

-trash everywhere - more than here in the U.S., yes. But it's not bad everywhere. Some areas are worse than others. People need to be fined for littering and then it will get better. But of course we're not supposed to get frustrated with the laws or lack thereof, we have to accept CR as it is. So yeah, the trash can be a downer at times.

-water making you sick - the drinking water is fine. I've NEVER gotten sick from drinking water. I HAVE gotten sick from swimming in the ocean at Jaco. Not sure if it's still bad there but many years ago I was real sick from getting ocean water in my mouth there.

-fear:  feeling unsafe walking the streets. Only in San Jose'. Now, there may be other places and you never should be alone walking after dark, really, anywhere especially if you've been drinking or are dressed up nice. However, for most of Costa Rica I don't feel unsafe walking around by myself. In San Jose' you just avoid certain areas and take cabs at night. I carry pepper spray in San Jose' and once it did save me from being mugged.

-insane driving - YES!

-can't trust the police - Not sure. I've never been stopped by one. I've heard stories that sometimes they want a bribe so you have to decide to pay the bribe or get the ticket. This is a controversial subject that would require its own thread if there isn't one already.

-takes forever to conduct business, esp with the authorities - Yes! Banking can take forever, government offices can take forever, waiting for things to be approved can take forever, asking a question at the electric company can take forever, etc. etc. There are ways to get around this. You can pay someone to stand in line for you while you run errands. You can get your number then come back later (though if you miss it you have to start over). You can learn when the better times to go are. You can go to a bank that tends to have less of a problem, maybe one that is not near a bus stop or on the edge of town... etc.

Now, some other concerns.
Crime is a problem. I'm new here and I hate to bring it up as some forums have made rules about not talking about it too much. I hope I am okay here, if not feel free to delete this portion of my post. I mentioned that crime can take the form of mugging in San Jose' and you really do need to be careful. Also pick-pocketing there. And also people will pull scams on you at the "Coca Cola" bus station and one will distract you while the other steals your suitcase or backpack or picks your pocket. People will break into cars with luggage in it and steal your stuff in San Jose and sometimes in other areas. This is a real concern even though it's never happened to me. One guy I know had his laptop stolen from his truck. They target gringos.

The other major concern of crime is your home. If you leave your home empty and don't have a guard dog or guard it may get broken into. Again, this would require a separate thread as to how you can discourage or prevent this. Generally it depends on what part of town you live in or what part of the country but if you are a "rich" gringo with a nice home you probably should be concerned about leaving your home empty without a guard or guard dog.

That said, I believe there are many ways to deter this crime and it need not be a factor to prevent you from living in Costa Rica.

I had a friend who high-tailed it out of CR after less than a year, selling the home he'd just built because he didn't like it.

His reasons:
1) getting things done properly and timely drove him crazy; he felt the service people he hired to do things were awful. This could probably have been prevented to some degree by getting better recommendations of who to hire. But yeah, you have to get used to waiting longer than in the USA.

2) he bought in a very windy and rainy and cold area

3) he did not speak much Spanish and did not go out of his way to make new friends

4) he was easily frustrated over things in general

The moral of the story as it has been stated many times in CR forums is this:

-Be ready to adapt and accept that things are done differently and sometimes things are done "stupidly" by our standards and perspectives.
-Get recommendations from other gringos on who does good work and who should be hired or not hired.
-LIVE THERE BEFORE BUYING THERE
-Learn to speak Spanish before moving there and once you move there practice it all the time, try not to speak English at all
-Choose your residence well. If you don't like rain and cold move to a drier, warmer place. Costa Rica has micro-climates so check it out and know what weather to expect there. Charts and tables exist to help you do this but ask other gringoes. You can ask Ticos but I have found they always say it's great where they live no matter how cold or hot or rainy it is! ;D Get details from gringos about temps and humidity, wind, etc.

Bugs and animals are part of Costa Rica as well. One expat friend used to say, "Remember: We're living in THEIR environment", meaning the bugs and animals. If you live outside of town expect weird bugs and animals to visit your abode. See it as an adventure. The only really dangerous things are the fer de lance snakes called Terciopelos which can kill you if you get bitten and don't stay calm until you get to the antidote. Most local clinics etc. have antidotes available. This should not be a danger at all unless you live out in the country side near jungles or lots of brush and weeds etc. You won't generally get bitten while on park trails or at home, but if you are out in a field cutting weeds or walking through brush you could get bitten.

Check your bed before getting into it for scorpions. If you find one, look for the mate and kill it too. They don't kill you from what I hear but they can cause pain and suffering. I imagine tarantulas are the same though I've only seen them in the forests, never in a home. But I'm sure they are in some homes in some areas.

You might have raccoons or bats take residence in your walls or attic; things like this can be a nuisance but there are ways to get rid of them and prevent them.

All in all, for me, the above negatives do not outweigh the positives. Costa Rica is a very fun and nice place to live, and especially if you love Nature it can't be beat. It's a lot less stressful than the U.S. in my opinion and more "free" in terms of being able to just live and not have so much government regulation and hassles from things like parking meters, cameras at intersections, speeding tickets, rolling through stop signs, insurance regulations, etc. etc. etc. Yes, there are bureaucracies and tickets but much less so in Costa Rica imho.

The people are by and large friendly and nice and it's a nice place to live. No place is truly paradise and so you have to accept the bad with the good and weigh it out.