Environmental protection in the United Arab Emirates

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in the United Arab Emirates?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in the United Arab Emirates.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Good Morning to All,

I had been living in UAE for the last 12 years and I found it very Proactive in Environmental subject, never the less in some areas like the Desert I found the People west is quite high and some really don't think about the Desert environment,  by leaving there west all around specially  at the weekend outing when the wither is good , in the same Time there is no west Points at the Camping Area or even a camping zone like some other country such as Europe where you cant camp any where you want!  I believe this can be a point of improvement to the country in this environmental regards.

Thank you,

Ayman

i recycle all my plastic, paper, glass and tin, or at least, I hope that what I recycle is recycled by the Dubai municipality. I also do not throw any waste food out, but instead use a system called Bokashi.  This turns all waste food into compost which gets put back into the garden.

I been trying to convince the wildlife and enviroment department to start taking the opportunity to build man made reefs in the oceans here seriously low costa and way to many benefits to list here.

Smoking should be banned at public places, you find cigarette pits all over the city, I was shocked when I went to the beach last friday and the sand was filled with cigarette pits, etc

Use of the paper tissue in all the malls should be charged to the end user as people waste piles of tissue for no reason because they know it's free, no one realises paper comes from trees and Mother Nature forests are been demolished

Diseal Vehicles should be totally banned as they are one of the major cause turning Dubai city black

Government should take initiative in growing trees by offering free trees to the community to create pollution free envoirment

stanaman wrote:

I been trying to convince the wildlife and enviroment department to start taking the opportunity to build man made reefs in the oceans here seriously low costa and way to many benefits to list here.

To whom you are trying to convince, which department? Let me know.

You are so right.  Dropping cigarette butts all over the place is a disgrace - in particular on the beach.  When one walks along the beach one hopes for free flowing pure clean sand between one's toes.  Seems those days are a distant memory!  Now we experience oily filthy cigarette strewn grit!  So much for progress!

I agree with you regarding tissue paper too.  People do not realise how many trees are chopped down for this wasteful over-usage of disposal tissue paper.  I think the hand showers in the cubicles are a brilliant idea and should be placed in all toilets all over the world.  A tiny piece of tissue is all that is required to mop up!  (Sorry, this may be 'too much information').  And the old fashioned fabric towels in those roller dispensers should be returned.  And handkerchiefs should be reintroduced. 

I also love your idea of free trees.  The only thing is that trees need water and this is an expensive commodity in the UAE.  Many people are strapped for cash and trying to keep their costs down. 

As for diesel I had no idea it is turning the city black.  Thanks for teaching me something new.