Best cities to live in the Philippines

He might be wrong about the people, but not the bombings.

List the bombings over the last ten years?

Seem to recall one more recently than that.

Hi. Please tell me more about Canal . Is it easy to get to grocery stores in the gyms this is what i will miss most from united states of days access to grocery stores and gyms and internet could you please come and i'll let my wife and i are interested in renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 bedroom house thanks craig currently we live in bohol

Please tell me something about your area i just arrived in the philippines to get married i'm staying in bohol i miss easy access to grocery stores general transportation and gyms to workout in i am 65 and my wife to ps 47

Hi,

It's is really a personal matter on which city you should settle in when moving to the philippines. For me Manila is the best as it allows me to conduct my business with as much ease as possible. Living in other cities wou'll feel a drawback when it comes to technology that we come to see as basic amenities like internet.
If you're looking for a job, do it before you arrive in the philippines. once you're hee you'll be on a tourist visa, not a working visa and it will make it harder for you to apply for a job. There are many jobs in development done by several NGOs that you can look for online, depending on your country of origin.

Best,

Could you tell me more.

tn101112 wrote:

Puerto Princesa City, Palawan.  Best kept secret.  Happy to answer any questions you may have.

As for jobs, not sure what you want to do? 

Joe

How do three important factors compare to other parts of The Philippines?
1. Weather
2. Cost of Living and land/Property/Rental Prices
3. Safety and Security.

Thank you.

Something cold and near mountains-Baguio (strawberries)

If you're more on beautiful beaches. Cebu (mangoes, roasted pig, & dried fish!) and Palawan (have lots of cashew nuts) are the best! Cebu is more urban though.

Urban-rural - Davao City (delicious fruits too such as durian and marang)

Rural country side- Bukidnon (pineapples and fresh cow milk)

Dess73 wrote:

Something cold and near mountains-Baguio (strawberries)

If you're more on beautiful beaches. Cebu (mangoes, roasted pig, & dried fish!) and Palawan (have lots of cashew nuts) are the best! Cebu is more urban though.

Urban-rural - Davao City (delicious fruits too such as durian and marang)

Rural country side- Bukidnon (pineapples and fresh cow milk)

For sure there are many-many great places to live here. We are about a two hour drive North of Manila and living a very rural area about 10km from Angeles City. Far enough to be out of the traffic and rush but still close enough to go the the malls and restaurants etc. We've been here almost 15 years now and still love the area. Just pays to explore a bit before settling into any given area.

I am not competing with any filipino. I will be working here because company required polish native speaker for OT project. My friend also works here because they couldn't find filipino for his position.

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are going to move to Palawan. We both work online, so we need internet and of course we want to rent a nice place with facilities. Do you recommend something?

Thanks

Annapriori wrote:

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are going to move to Palawan. We both work online, so we need internet and of course we want to rent a nice place with facilities. Do you recommend something?

Thanks

Sorry, no idea of places to rent there. Best to get a hotel for a few days and just hit the streets in a cab and ask around.
For working online you will need to get connections with two different providers as internet is not reliable here in any way. A generator is needed for work as power can go out for hours at a time without notice or reason.

I read your reply to a subscriber. I am interested in learning more about living in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. My back ground is that I am married to a Flipinan from Mindinonw. We live in Tagabliran, Bohol. I am finding it to be a okay city as far as shopping for daily needs but boring. I am hopeful to find a place here in the Philippines with more to do such as gyms, beaches and restaurants.

Why do you prefer Puerto Princesa City to Dumagette?

Simply put tired of writing and sharing, if you want to talk via voice send me a message and I'll share Fb with you so we can chat!

Davao City, an contrary to the popular belief, its a very safe city to live in.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Posting same external links everywhere
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi. I would enjoy talking live. I am not sure if we are allowed to give text numbers on this site. My text number is *** and email is ***. My wife and I are getting interested in Dumaguete now and or Tagaytay. I would very much appreciate listening to your advise. Sincerely, Craig Cothren. I am on FB.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

Hello American guy married to a Cebuana for 12 years. Looking to buy a house on Cebu Island possibly Argao. Recently sold our land that we had on Lapu Lapu / Mactan.  Anyone familiar with Argao. Had also been recommended to look at Bohol, Davao City and Dumaguete but really want to stay closer to Cebu City as that is where my wife is from. Currently back in US. Looking to retire next 5-6 years.

I'm visiting Puerto Princesa early May please tell me more about why you live there.

I live here in Metro Manila for 40 years , so i can say i m credible enough to advise where  is the best place to move in for Expats. first is in Makati ,, why thats where the work are located, the business centers is operated there, the streets are ic wider compared to BGC which is super traffic almost every time.... 2nd the condos prices ranges from 300- 400 dollars a month for a 20-25 per sqm.. im a real estate broker so i should know better... )   if you like to rent for a house its around 600 dollars but aounr 45 minutes away from Makati...   if you have some questions dont hesitate to ask me.. thanks

I want to add to my post under the username boondocker last May 2017. I forgot to add Davao to my list. I lived there for a total of 1 year...6 months in 2008 and 6 months in 2016. I like it. Of the 3 major metro areas in the Phils (Davao, Cebu, or Manila) Davao may have the highest quality of life. The problem I have with it is I like to drive my car on road trips. It's nice all wheel drive SUV. I only say this because I might draw some attention being white in areas with few foreigners. Davao is safe to drive around no problem, but I don't think it's particularly safe to be driving all around Mindanao. Maybe from Davao to CDO or Surigao is ok.  A road trip for me is all about going to beautiful places in nature, I don't want to have a concern in the back of my mind about the possibility of being kidnapped for ransom in which driving around many places in Mindanao is a possibility even if not likely.

I live in the Ayala area of Cebu City. It reminds me of Makati. Traffic is bad, but not Manila bad, and from Cebu, it's centrally located and easy to drive, fly, or take a boat many places. It has decent weather, not too much rain or wind. Davao has really good weather too with not too much rain that is evenly distributed throughout the year. Also of the 3 largest metro areas, Manila has the highest cost of living, Davao the lowest.

For those that are not interested in driving around Mindanao, which is almost everyone, Davao would probably be my favorite place to live.

I also lived in Legaspi Village, Makati for a year. If you mostly just hang out and walk around close to home, you can't beat it. But I like to drive and go places. Because of the traffic, it's difficult. So bad I park the car and take a taxi. However, if you're going south towards Tagaytay, the Batangas beaches, Puerto Galera, it's pretty easy because you're at the very south end of Makati where there is a freeway. If you want to go to other places in the city or north of Manila It can be done if you have 2 or 3 extra hours depending on the time of day, just to drive from Legaspi Village through Manila.

10 years ago It used to be easy with light traffic if you left at 3 am. Now even at 3 am give yourself 1 hour:)

boondocker wrote:

Hi, I have lived and traveled all over the Philippines for 7 years.

For safety...Subic Bay Freeport Zone

For best weather...Tagaytay

For girls...Cebu

For beach living...Panglao

For bars and party...Angeles City

If you have a need for the luxuries of home, I would say Davao is the best place to live especially if you drive. Wide roads, places to park, so much better than Manila or Cebu. If you would like to be close to everything and like to walk, Legaspi Village in Makati can't be beaten.

Other than that I would go to a place such as Iloilo City or Bacolod City as the best medium-size cities.

A couple of smaller places that are nice are Subic Bay Freeport Zone, in the Olongapo area and Valencia in the Dumaguete area.

If you want to live a simple, low-cost life and don't need or care about many luxuries, then there are beautiful small towns in the provinces all over the Philippines. Men usually choose this option if they have a Filipina wife and they enjoy living by her family sometimes on the same land next door.

Hi.  I am seriously considering moving to Puerto Prinsea to be able to live in Palawan due to being such beautiful island and I am a beach person.  Was hoping I could stay in touch with you as I move foward. I am now planning my move next April 1, 2020.  My email is *** and right now my biggest need is rental properties on long term lease and need $10-15php per month.  Is that possible?  Can you buy a condo there for around 50sqm for 3-5 million php.  Any guide such if you know a good real estate firm or folks that have rental properties would be a great help.  How are hospital there and my main concern is don't want to buy a car want to get by on tricyle or cabs.  Any advice and friendly thoughts most welcom.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for reasons of security. You may exchange them through the private messaging system.

My post was meant for
klalani
15 September 2017 12:12:58
I am new here.

Well regardless of this topic/thread "Best cities to live in the Philippines" I would suggest that with due diligence and some boots on the ground we all eventually or no find our stomping ground/way forward. Get out there and get you hands dirty, savour the flavours, and I always say time tells and reveals all. The Phillipines will/can be a revelation or a bane, all will find their way, good/bad, sad but true.
I want to tell members here, something I have been stewing on for months, as I have seen nothing, no recognition nor words for the passing of a contributor to this fine forum , a mediocre man and then some but contributed  here and plenty of other sites and most times wise with an opinion but always humble until he raised his stick, our friend Navajo52 departed some months ago, was a well respected moderator on other sites, also who contributed here and would have boldly/wisely contributed.

Lest we forget a forger, though opinionated wise beyond times, those that know him please offer respect for his years of contributions here and other expat sites, to his family if ever they read? Viol and siblings I learn't plenty from Gene as many did, may God rest his humble life and soul. Pointing  us in directions of best places to live simply came back to family and friends and then some, a wise and kind man offering his take on this and many topics.

Cheers Steve.

BeachBlueWaves wrote:

Hi.  I am seriously considering moving to Puerto Prinsea to be able to live in Palawan due to being such beautiful island and I am a beach person.  Was hoping I could stay in touch with you as I move foward. I am now planning my move next April 1, 2020.  My email is *** and right now my biggest need is rental properties on long term lease and need $10-15php per month.  Is that possible?  Can you buy a condo there for around 50sqm for 3-5 million php.  Any guide such if you know a good real estate firm or folks that have rental properties would be a great help.  How are hospital there and my main concern is don't want to buy a car want to get by on tricyle or cabs.  Any advice and friendly thoughts most welcom.

Google sport, and then google again, though idilic, contains all the furry bits. 7,000 plus Islands one of which you can buy.

Chees Seve.

Yes that's true..did you know Marlin Brando the famous actor bought a Philippine island many years ago for $50,000?  I had a Filipino on an airplane point it out to me and tell me I should buy one but owning an island is out of my budget but I sure would love to live on a beautiful island with great beaches and beautiful sea and nice people.  I am new here as of yesterday so testing this out.  Thanks for reply.

Welcome to the forum Beach Blue, enjoy. I worked closely with Marlon some 20 + years ago on a flick called The Island of Dr. Moreau and he did mention his island in the Philippines, he loved tribal/ritual dance troops from Asia, Polynesia etc,,,,,,,,yes off topic and sorry. Palawan has plenty to offer as do most places in PH. but really comes back to the individual needs and preferences, services like hospitals, shopping, internet etc close by and efficient or the back blocks for a quieter life but more travelling.
Family at times dictates an expats locale, close or, lol, very far away or like us somewhere in-between.
Ask away and I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback.

Cheers, Steve.

Well since you offered if you don't mind I am not shy to ask.

Been to Philippines many times been through manila and stayed there some but hate that place never would live there but now Cebu City I love and have been there 7 years in a row.  Love it but prices are getting way too high to fast due to being on ocean and investors with big large city.  Rent is USA price rent now if you want decent place.

I have not been to Palawan yet.  I read now its ranked number 1 island in the world.  I LOVEEEEEEEEEE beaches and the ocean and my dream since I was very young was to live along a beach and ocean and I love that lifestyle.

In your opinion, where is safest place to live there?  I am thinking capital city of Puerto Prinsea would be safest with most conveniences? and then just go visit Coron and El Nido over time. 

I am thinking I should be able to rent a house or condo there within reason, and have a decent hospital if emergency, and im sure plenty of nice places to eat. 

Can you share your thoughts and can you live there on $1500 USD per month?

I am hoping to live where can take cheap cab like cebu city or tricycles so I do not have to buy a car. 

ANy info you can share would be most appreciated. I am retiring there is my motivation and beaches are my first love.  It looks amazing.

Marlon was a great actor and always enjoyed watching his movies.  Nice you knew him.  The article on the airplane to Manila had two full pages of how he bought island there, so was very true.  I look forward to living in Palawan and will start out renting in Puerto Prinsea so then I can wander out and see things.  Thanks for sharing your story with Marlon.

BeachBlueWaves

Some notes to consider.

First and foremost, wherever you land, rent something temporary to get a feel for the place and if you find it feels like home, then look carefully for something more permanent.

If you lease, read carefully and deal only with the actual owner. Take pictures for records,  Agree on what, if anything, he or she will replace or repair if broken.
Pay your rent only in person and only with receipt in hand.
Make sure you are not sharing a water or electric meter with other tenants or you may wind up paying their bills and yours.
Check the place thoroughly for leaks, mold, mildew and insects.

Are you in a flood zone or on a fault line.

Are the utilities dependable or will you suffer daily brownouts or water outages. Is internet available at a speed above dial up.

The weekend is always a good time to check out a condo in advance as that is when everyone is home including weekend renters and their kids.  Sometimes what you see on a weekday is nothing compared to the insanity you might see on a weekend with kids running up and down the halls and weekenders having a very good and noisy time.

If you don't like the lowland heat and the area is subject to brownouts you may wind up in the local mall more often than you'd like trying to escape the heat as your fans, AC and appliances won't be working until service is restored.

I can't speak to conditions in Palawan, though comments from a few expats that live in or around Puerto Princesa seem positive enough.  Boots on the ground.

An on line search where you simply type "for rent Puerto Princesa" or the city of your choice will bring up quite a few pages related to real estate rentals.  Airbnb and Flipkey may also help you find a temporary abode until the more permanent one is found.   

There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this site who no doubt can offer much that I have forgotten to mention.   

In business dealings, be cautious and lookout for number one. They can earn your trust and most likely will if they are be truthful with you.

Regards,

TEEJAY,

Thank you so much for your kind and very thorough reply...All of that was very good information and good advice on how to deal....Outstanding response and thank you so much for taking that time to do that for me...I have been going to Cebu City 7 years in a row for vacation and always wanted to retire there but rent and purchase is getting way out of line.  In most instances I can find that price here without moving and the whole idea was lower cost of living but housing in Cebu City is getting out of line high going up to far too fast to sustain long term.

I cant thank you enough and Palawan I must see....I hope that is where I land but I already concluded rent first to make sure its for me.

I live in Lapu-Lapu which is getting expensive and is overcrowded.  I've spent some time in Balamban which is on the opposite coast across from Cebu City.  Very cute, cheap, unspoiled and manageable still.  It is only about a one hour trip to Cebu City over the mountains...so easy to do a city getaway or get medical care.  I'm looking to maybe move there next year.

Check out Balamban or Toledo on the other side.

bigpearl wrote:

Well regardless of this topic/thread "Best cities to live in the Philippines" I would suggest that with due diligence and some boots on the ground we all eventually or no find our stomping ground/way forward. Get out there and get you hands dirty, savour the flavours, and I always say time tells and reveals all. The Phillipines will/can be a revelation or a bane, all will find their way, good/bad, sad but true.

I want to tell members here, something I have been stewing on for months, as I have seen nothing, no recognition nor words for the passing of a contributor to this fine forum , a mediocre man and then some but contributed  here and plenty of other sites and most times wise with an opinion but always humble until he raised his stick, our friend Navajo52 departed some months ago, was a well respected moderator on other sites, also who contributed here and would have boldly/wisely contributed.

Lest we forget a forger, though opinionated wise beyond times, those that know him please offer respect for his years of contributions here and other expat sites, to his family if ever they read? Viol and siblings I learn't plenty from Gene as many did, may God rest his humble life and soul. Pointing  us in directions of best places to live simply came back to family and friends and then some, a wise and kind man offering his take on this and many topics.

Cheers Steve.

Thanks Steve for bringing up Gene's (Navajo52) passing - he was wise, candid and helpful to many here and your eloquent words say it better than I could. He helped me on more than one occasion and as you say, his family was everything to him. I miss him. Rest in peace, Gene and blessings to Viol and the family.

I like La Union. Nice and clean city, with a quiet atmosphere.

Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

Welcome Shaz.  La Union is a province, of which city do you speak?  San Fernando?

mugtech wrote:
Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

which city do you speak?  San Fernando?

San Gabriel

Shaz@FazWaz wrote:
mugtech wrote:
Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

which city do you speak?  San Fernando?

San Gabriel

Welcome to the forum Shaz, do hope you enjoy and contribute, perhaps introduce yourself within  the introductory section within this forum or prattle on here as we tend to do.
San Gabriel is next door to us in Bacnotan (west) and yes a great part of the Fills to live/retire to.

Cheers, Steve.