Considering China: Looking for tips to overcome air quality issues

Howdy from Texas! I am a retired journalist, married to a still-employed public relations pro. We are looking for overseas opportunities within the next 1-2 years, once our youngest is settled away at college. We've zeroed in on what look like good opportunities to live and teach in China. I do have significant seasonal allergy challenges here in the states, and wondering just how badly the poor air quality across much of China might impact me. Any allergy sufferers over there who have found it to not be as bad as they thought? Or worse than imagined? Also, any remedies that seem to really help in overcoming this issue? Thanks for sharing any relevant insights and experiences! Cheers

I living in China over 5 year, have only some times problem with Honk Kong foods (from high humidity), newer other. Live 2 year on north, 2 year in middle of China and now few months on south

Knee-Howdy from Shenzhen!

Well, I am an allergy suffer as well in the US.  That said, in China, I have not suffered from the same ailments.  The pollution and smog in this region, during winter is very difficult, but so far has not caused anything of evident concern.  A mask is common in the region and I wish you all the best on your journey in China!

Master of Ed,
MARKE

Howdy  from Shunde  Foshan China....well really I should say Gday mate... as I'm an expat Aussie,,,been  her for a bloody long time..almost 16 years.... and Ive had the experience in living in many different parts of China....North South East and West....

I hate to rain on your parade ...but if either you or your wife will be more than 55 when you get here ...your chances of getting a job Teaching  are as likely as being able to buy Rocking Horse Poo .. or Hens Teeth....The Chinese government ... for what ever reason decided a few years ago that Foreign Teachers must not teach after they are 60...and they wont issue you with a Work Visa...so ...there you go....( I speak from Experience)

Pollution...all of the major Cities have High Pollution.... and there are not all that many places that are free from it...

Zhuhai..is a great small city...beside the border to Macau.... and a short Ferry ride to HK..55 min... the air is great...and its beside the ocean..,..NO POLLUTION....and if you have the right Visa...you can hop over the border to Macau or HK... and buy most of the supermarket stuff that you could buy at home....and the climate there is good....summer temps in low 30'sC... it usually has a short Winter whee the temps can drop overnight to about 7c... but day temps are usually around 15-17
There are several  other cities that are inland that I could also suggest....... but for now... that's enough
James

Interesting on the age thing. Had not heard that and will inquire. Looking at a specific opportunity in a specific area so not sure the rest will apply at this point but good to know. Thanks and all the best!

So, that's encouraging to hear! Thanks much. Cheers

thanks for the reply...look I'm not at all trying to kill your idea of coming to China...its a great place...and Ive made it my home...but here are the real facts... please listen to me... and perhaps at some later stage you will say thanks for your honesty..
FACTS.....
1) to obtain a Work Visa... you will need to already have a job before you leave your homeland... and the work visa must be issued before you leave your homeland...
there were many changes to Visa Laws in June 2014...and many people were caught out....

2) don't apply for any position through any agency.... deal only with the schools ( or Universities).... many agencies are totally dishonest and they will lie to you and tell you that a work Visa can be obtained when you get to China....(This is total bullshit)...

3) if you are dealing with a school or university accept correspondence from them only if it comes from an email address that includes the name of the school or university...

4) any inquiries you make in USA only believe what you are told directly from the Chinese Embassy.

If you are a Journalist... perhaps a better idea would be to seek a Special Visa and claim you will be traveling china for 2 years ....to write articles for publication....this possibly would get you an "M" or an "F"  ...this Visa wont allow you to be employed by anyone in China...but it will allow you to do work for yourself....

if you haven't been to China previously your chances of an initial Visa for a period of longer than 6 months is  minimal...

however if you do get this Visa and come..once you are here ...there are many "Visa Agents" that can and will obtain a 2 year Multi Entry Visa for you "For a price"...
Currently that price is about 10,000 RMB... but in 2 years time... god only knows what it could be...

Once here you will discover that "Money Rules:.... and anything is possible to obtain..if you know the right people and you are prepared to pay the going price.,..,

And your wife will also need to obtain the same Visa....
16 plus years here has taught me much ha ha ....and although it all sounds difficult...its worth the effort....
do your own "Due diligence" please.....be thorough   dot the "I's"   and cross all the "T's"... you will find its worth it.....
good luck....
James
Today is Australia Dy... so I'm off now to celebrate it with some expats...

oops forgot...but if you would like to tell me which particular area in China you are looking at..I will be happy to give you unbiased first hand information on it.,,
James K West'
PhD MA BA.... but not a bloody nerd... or a stuck up academic...

Hello. Yes, your circumstances and connections might be different from other folks', so inquire and pursue carefully and may you have good luck!  I am several years over 60 and have just returned from 1.5 years teaching university-level English in China's northeast area. Feel free to contact me off-board for details **

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.

Awesome. Thank you! Cheers, LF

What 'genuineaussie' says is true. You need your work visa in advance and there are many English schools run by local and expat shysters who will misinform you about this. Beware of ESL scams. Google "China ESL scam" any check out scampatrol for more insights.

Pollution is almost everywhere in China to a greater or lesser degree. Check out aqicn.org on a regular basis for your target cities to see the numbers for pm2.5 and pm10. When I lived in Beijing, like most expats, I would wear a pm2.5 mask on bad days and use an air purifier inside the apartment - as did my more informed Chinese colleagues. Many cities like Suzhou are not advertised as having a pollution problem, yet the AQI is often a steady 180 for weeks on end. A level that would be seen as very unhealthy anywhere else and at which asthmatics would be advised to wear a proper pm2.5 mask.

Other sites and blogs to check which will give you a flavor of life in China include shanghaiexpat.com, thebeijinger.com.

As a retiree you would be well advised to have the right health care package in place before you arrive. Expat hospitals do provide high quality but at a very high price and these are only in the first tier cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen.
Healthcare in public hospitals is not for the faint-hearted (no pun) if you even manage to negotiate it without any grasp of the local language. You will be stuck with these in an emergency in a smaller city (eg. Less than 5 million population)

If you want to take this interesting cultural journey, then the starting point is the work visa. After that, a lot depends on your attitude. China's culture, in particular how 'face' impacts daily life is worth experiencing. But don't expect people to follow rules or the rules to actually mean what they say. Its not like that in China.