Hajj without an iqama

I am here on a 90-day working visa, but my company hasn't secured my iqama yet to get me through the year.  Because the Hajj is coming so soon, I am worried that I won't have my iqama before the Hajj arrives. 

If I don't get my passport back (iqama inside), what are my traveling options? Can I spend the night in, say, a hotel in Dammam by supplying a photocopy of my passport and my visa? Am I stuck in Riyadh or able to find a way to see more of KSA?

Thanks for any help!

I suppose you're carrying your passport around with you since it's the only form of identification you have. If yes, then sure you can stay in any hotel you want using your passport to check in. I suggest you ask your company to make the booking for you as well in order to get better rates.

I don't have my passport, as it is allegedly at the Department of Labor awaiting its iqama.  Are photocopies sufficient to check into places?

Your company should have provided a 'temporary iqama' for you, which is simply a photocopy of your passport with a company letter attached to it stating your name, profession, employer etc. If you don't have this, then you can get by with just a passport photocopy, especially if you're a westerner.

If you want to perform Hajj you must apply for a Hajj visa else you will be refused entry to Makkah. It may be too late now but you can always try. Hajj will not affect you if you want to travel around the country.

Allons-y wrote:

I am here on a 90-day working visa, but my company hasn't secured my iqama yet to get me through the year.  Because the Hajj is coming so soon, I am worried that I won't have my iqama before the Hajj arrives. 

If I don't get my passport back (iqama inside), what are my traveling options? Can I spend the night in, say, a hotel in Dammam by supplying a photocopy of my passport and my visa? Am I stuck in Riyadh or able to find a way to see more of KSA?

Thanks for any help!

For Hajj you need your Iqama and passport to obtain a Hajj permit.
Without the permit you cannot enter Makkah during the Hajj period. It look like Hajj is out this year. Inshallah next year.

To travel around KSA you need your passport (if you do not have your Iqama). If your passport is not with you, the photocopies will NOT suffice. You need to have a letter from your company (in Arabic) stating that you are an employee and that your Iqama has been applied for. The letter is valid for 30 days and is considered as a temporary Iqama. (it needs to be in Arabic, as it is highely unlikely any officer requesting to view your documents will know English)

Personally, I would abstain from travelling without Iqama or Passport. (In the Magic Kingdom its better to stay on the "safer side")

Ps
One of the best times to visit Mecca and Madina is about 40 days after Hajj. It becomes very quiet, you will enjoy the peace and tranquility. No crowds, no hustle & bustle.

But what about those people who enter illegally for Hajj?

nonz wrote:

But what about those people who enter illegally for Hajj?

I think nonz, that defeats the whole purpose of doing something for God but doing it illegally. Isn't it??

Its ironical to see so many people struggling to fulfil a religious requirement or obligation by engaging in breaking the rules and performing prohibitive acts.

One significant event that is seen very often in Mosques is those folks who come in late and jump over the shoulders of others to get to the front row. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

musicman wrote:

Its ironical to see so many people struggling to fulfil a religious requirement or obligation by engaging in breaking the rules and performing prohibitive acts.

One significant event that is seen very often in Mosques is those folks who come in late and jump over the shoulders of others to get to the front row. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

Because the do not understand the Soul of Islam or they would have act accordingly

I am surprised to see how the discussion has turned, but I admit that I am perhaps at fault for not being totally clear.  I am not trying to perform Hajj, I am just trying to travel around KSA during the Hajj if my iqama does not get into my hands in the next 24 hours! I am not hoping or trying to do anything illegal.  These next two weeks are potentially the only weeks my employer is giving me off of work until August, so I hope to maximize them by getting out of Riyadh (I will be here practically every day) and seeing new places. 

If anyone has any guidance for me, please advice.  I am "supposed to" get my temporary iqama before the Hajj begins, but I have read conflicting ideas of whether I can travel and pay for accommodation on that or not.  I allegedly have until the 27th free once this Thursday comes.  What is recommended for someone who doesn't have an iqama yet (meaning no chance to rent a car since I don't have a Saudi license)? Are there certain cities that would be better to see in the coming two weeks versus next summer or a weekend in the next year?

Again, I greatly appreciate all input and I am sorry that people got the impression I am trying to break rules.