Cost of living in the Guatemala

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the Guatemala.

Don't forget to mention where in the Guatemala you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the Guatemala?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Rent can vary from $65/mo to $550/mo depending on amenities, proximity to lake, etc.
Home purchases can vary greatly.  My walled in 1,800sqft home with 2 large bedroom suites, LR, DR, laundry room, pantry, big front foyer, center courtyard garden, maid's room, and attached garage cost $145K, 10 minutes walk to lakeside.
High speed 1Mb DSL Internet plus unlimited calls to Gt. land lines = $55/mo.
Cable tv = $10/mo; at least 10 US network channels
Eating out varies $4-$10 depending on number of beers @ $1.30 ea.
Taxi's around town = $.65/person
Typical trip to grocery store for 2 = $15; more if at the gringo store with imported items;  less at mercado for fruits and vegetables.
Electricity bills average $65/mo (2 tv's, 2 computers, 2 stereos, garden fountains, washer/dryer, electric hot water heater)
Purified water per month averages $8

Hi!
I'm leaving in Quetzaltenango (Xela).

> accommodation prices:
* a room in a shared house:$100/month. the includes electricity & water & sometimes internet.
* own apartment (unfurnished):$125
* furnished apartment: $190

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...):
* mini bus in the city: $0.15
* taxi fare:$4

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?): depend where you buy it but if you buy it at the local market, around $80/month
Purified water: $10/month

> energy prices (oil, electricity): for normal gaz for the car $3.125/gallon
Gaz for oven:$15/month

* internet: $49/month for 512 Kb
* cable: $10/month
* telephone: $6/month

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant: you can eat a good meal for $10

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub:
* small beer: $2 , litter:$4
* coffee: $1.5

Bonjour Claire,
Comment ça va? Je viens juste d'arriver sur ce site. Je pensais que ce serait en français lo mais bon il faut s'y mettre, allez en anglais ;)
Je voudrais te demander quelques renseignements, je souhaite partir au Guatemala mais il paraît que la situation au niveau de la sécurité est terrible de plus pourrais-je trouver un emploi? Je suis pleine de doutes. Connais-tu d'autres Français qui y sont? Qu'est-ce que toi tu fais là-bas?

> accommodation prices

I spend $1000 a month for my large house with two terraces, two salons, large kitchen, 4 bedrooms.  You can get an apartment for as little as $250 around Antigua.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

Chicken bus around Antigua is about 2Q, a TukTuk is 10Q inside the town, 15-25Q to outlying towns, taxis will be 25-50Q depending on time of day and destination.  $10 gets you a private shuttle to Atitlan or the capital, or about $35 for a taxi.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

Fruit and vegetables are cheap compared to Europe and US, imported goods, dairy products are expensive.  Chicken and beef is about the same as the US.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

My wife had a baby here it cost $600.  Emergency room visits, stitches and antibiotics for a kid who broke a window was about $60.  Doctor visit is about $25, most medicines are under $10.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

Most Spanish classes are about $5 an hour through a school.  Some tutors will work privately with you for half that.  Other educational opportunities are available with prices as low as 20Q a month for multiple group sessions.

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

Electricity is expensive here compared to most places in the US.  My electric bill is about $200 a month and of course I don't have AC or heat.  In the US it was less than that including AC and heat.  Gasoline is around $3.20 a gallon, diesel is a little cheaper.

Internet is comparable to the US, $30 to $60 depending on speed.  Telephones are expensive, you pay for every call here, rates vary between 3 and 8 cents per minute for local calls.  Mobile phone rates are expensive compared to the US, about 1-2Q per minute for local calls, about 8 US cents for calls to the US.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

You can eat at a 'tipico' restaurant for about 22Q, McDonalds, BurgerKing, Subway have similar products and similar menu prices to the US (not exact in price or sizes though), or you can spend $30 per person at a great restaurant in town. 

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

Beer ranges from 15Q to 22Q (up to 35Q for exotic imports), coffee in the 8Q range to 16Q for a cappuccino.

> price of the cinema

Don't go.