Moving to Thailand.

Hi. I am a south african wanting to move to Thailand in 2016. i am a manager in the clothing industry with 25years experience. Anyone with suggestions and tips on how to achieve my goal would be highly appreciated. I will be marrying a Thai woman

Tim Elliott wrote:

Hi. I am a south african wanting to move to Thailand in 2016. i am a manager in the clothing industry with 25years experience. Anyone with suggestions and tips on how to achieve my goal would be highly appreciated. I will be marrying a Thai woman

Hi Tim,
Thai labour cost has gone up and some factories are hiring staff from Myanmar due to lower cost. Some clothing factories have moved to Vietnam and Cambodia. China factories are producing at a much lower cost. Thus very unlikely a Thai factory will employ foreigner unless they really need the expertise. If so, the employment contract is short term. Its not easy for foreigners to look for jobs in Thailand now.

Congratulations as you are marrying a Thai but that does not mean a guaranteed visa. You need to show proof of monthly income to support her before they grant you a visa on yearly basis.

You need to sort out your employment or you run your own business then get your visa. With that, you can stay longer time in Thailand with your wife.

Otherwise you are consider as a tourist with the standard visa and short term stay.