Close

Why do some expats leave Panama?

Having lived overseas much of my life, to include with pets, all I can say is that the regulations for bringing pets out of a country are established by the the country you are leaving. SO what the US says you need to do to bring a dog in does not necessarily add up to the documents you need to get the pet out. It was far easier for us to take 3 cats out of the US to Korea than it was to get the necessary permits to take two of those same cats out of Korea to the US.

deleted as off topic. Apologies.

What does it have to do with the subject; "why do some expats leave Panama"..???

Sorry, I was replying to "lirelou"'s email about transporting pets.

PS

The garbage truck comes by once or twice a week. Apparently this is an exciting moment for them, because they constantly honk the truck's LOUD horn as they work through the neighborhood to let everyone know they are here. Constantly. That's really not enough however, at least one of the garbage workers has to yell "ASEO, EL ASEO" just to make sure you know.  Did I mention this is typically between 6am and 8am? Being that the garbage bins are outside the house throughout the entire neighborhood with the garbage already placed there, I assuming they are just letting the garbage know so that it won't walk off.

The supermarket again. Every time that I get up to the cashier, and unload the cart, I have to push the cart BACK into the store area. No, not through the cashier's checkout aisle, but back. Of course this is no big deal, there's usually only a line of a dozen people behind us who have to move out of the way so I can get the cart BACK into the store.  Once pushed back, the carts happily sit there, in disarray, blocking the overall area for cashiers and store general aisle. On the other side of the cashier there is the bagging boy.  He's usually the one to put everything into another cart so he can haul it to your car.  Of course only about 20% of purchases every get hauled out this way, so all of this makes perfect sense.

Got a traffic ticket the other day. I won't even get into how this ticket was invalid or how bad an experience that was with the police officer.  No, let's just talk about paying the ticket. Of course, to pay the ticket you have to go to a local office, usually in some run-down mall or building. Once you've stood in line at that office, they'll tell you that its actually not there where you pay, even though outside its clearly signed as that government's agency. So make your way to the other office, and stand in line there. Of course, to pay a ticket however, your ticket must first be registered in the system. So you must stand in that line and tell them to register your ticket.  Once you've done that, then you can stand in the other line to actually pay it. If you ask about "doing this online", they will look at you as if you are from, well, another country.

Zonian :

The garbage truck comes by once or twice a week. Apparently this is an exciting moment for them, because they constantly honk the truck's LOUD horn as they work through the neighborhood to let everyone know they are here. Constantly. That's really not enough however, at least one of the garbage workers has to yell "ASEO, EL ASEO" just to make sure you know.  Did I mention this is typically between 6am and 8am? Being that the garbage bins are outside the house throughout the entire neighborhood with the garbage already placed there, I assuming they are just letting the garbage know so that it won't walk off.

OH, YEAH   :lol:

I have the exact same problem where I live.  And this happens at least TWICE a day  )))))))))))))

And, so, you will be leaving Panama soon?

More peaceful where I live. We don't have garbage pickup.

Hello My name is Jay, I am looking to network. I need help with finding a place to rent there around $1100  or less.

Where do you want to live?

David , Los Tables or Brisas Del gulf

In David, contact Eduardo Horna  riochiriqui[at]gmail.com
I don't know people in the other areas.

Thanks. Can you tell me a little about David. Like is it laid back. Are any people of color there? Are the plenty of banks and shopping malls?

A working town, not a tourist area. Plenty of shopping, banks, health care, etc, and more being built all the time. People of all colors (though mostly brown Panamanians, of course) and more important, they don't care what color you are. People are friendly, helpful, respectful and very nonjudgmental. If you speak enough Spanish to hold a basic conversation you can make friends which is a real pleasure. I am very happy living in David. We are close to both mountains and beaches, and the majority of the fruits and vegetables are grown here. I have a blog https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/

Ok just trying to make friends and network. I need a little help with finding a temporary place until I find a permanet place to rent. Plus I need someone that can help or tell me how to get around. If you are your husband can help me I would be very grateful.

Eduardo, who I mentioned above is the man for you. He will pick you up from the airport or bus, give you a tour, help you find a house, pretty much anything you need in Chiriqui. He speaks fluent English and is reliable and ethical. Eduardo Horna, riochiriqui[at]gmail.com  Of course if you have questions or I can help let me know, but we're living the busy retired life here and have limited time to get involved with anything more.

oh, and getting around shouldn't be a problem. There are buses that go everywhere and inexpensive taxis. Many people here don't own cars and use buses and taxis for everything.

Expatriate health insurance in Panama

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Panama

Moving to Panama

Find tips from professionals about moving to Panama

Travel insurance in Panama

Enjoy stress-free travel to Panama

Flights to Panama

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Panama

2 million members!

Watch later