Why do some expats leave Panama?

Having lived overseas much of my life, to include with pets, all I can say is that the regulations for bringing pets out of a country are established by the the country you are leaving. SO what the US says you need to do to bring a dog in does not necessarily add up to the documents you need to get the pet out. It was far easier for us to take 3 cats out of the US to Korea than it was to get the necessary permits to take two of those same cats out of Korea to the US.

deleted as off topic. Apologies.

What does it have to do with the subject; "why do some expats leave Panama"..???

Sorry, I was replying to "lirelou"'s email about transporting pets.

PS

The garbage truck comes by once or twice a week. Apparently this is an exciting moment for them, because they constantly honk the truck's LOUD horn as they work through the neighborhood to let everyone know they are here. Constantly. That's really not enough however, at least one of the garbage workers has to yell "ASEO, EL ASEO" just to make sure you know.  Did I mention this is typically between 6am and 8am? Being that the garbage bins are outside the house throughout the entire neighborhood with the garbage already placed there, I assuming they are just letting the garbage know so that it won't walk off.

The supermarket again. Every time that I get up to the cashier, and unload the cart, I have to push the cart BACK into the store area. No, not through the cashier's checkout aisle, but back. Of course this is no big deal, there's usually only a line of a dozen people behind us who have to move out of the way so I can get the cart BACK into the store.  Once pushed back, the carts happily sit there, in disarray, blocking the overall area for cashiers and store general aisle. On the other side of the cashier there is the bagging boy.  He's usually the one to put everything into another cart so he can haul it to your car.  Of course only about 20% of purchases every get hauled out this way, so all of this makes perfect sense.

Got a traffic ticket the other day. I won't even get into how this ticket was invalid or how bad an experience that was with the police officer.  No, let's just talk about paying the ticket. Of course, to pay the ticket you have to go to a local office, usually in some run-down mall or building. Once you've stood in line at that office, they'll tell you that its actually not there where you pay, even though outside its clearly signed as that government's agency. So make your way to the other office, and stand in line there. Of course, to pay a ticket however, your ticket must first be registered in the system. So you must stand in that line and tell them to register your ticket.  Once you've done that, then you can stand in the other line to actually pay it. If you ask about "doing this online", they will look at you as if you are from, well, another country.

Zonian wrote:

The garbage truck comes by once or twice a week. Apparently this is an exciting moment for them, because they constantly honk the truck's LOUD horn as they work through the neighborhood to let everyone know they are here. Constantly. That's really not enough however, at least one of the garbage workers has to yell "ASEO, EL ASEO" just to make sure you know.  Did I mention this is typically between 6am and 8am? Being that the garbage bins are outside the house throughout the entire neighborhood with the garbage already placed there, I assuming they are just letting the garbage know so that it won't walk off.

OH, YEAH   :lol:

I have the exact same problem where I live.  And this happens at least TWICE a day  )))))))))))))

And, so, you will be leaving Panama soon?

More peaceful where I live. We don't have garbage pickup.

Hello My name is Jay, I am looking to network. I need help with finding a place to rent there around $1100  or less.

Where do you want to live?

David , Los Tables or Brisas Del gulf

In David, contact Eduardo Horna  ***
I don't know people in the other areas.

Thanks. Can you tell me a little about David. Like is it laid back. Are any people of color there? Are the plenty of banks and shopping malls?

A working town, not a tourist area. Plenty of shopping, banks, health care, etc, and more being built all the time. People of all colors (though mostly brown Panamanians, of course) and more important, they don't care what color you are. People are friendly, helpful, respectful and very nonjudgmental. If you speak enough Spanish to hold a basic conversation you can make friends which is a real pleasure. I am very happy living in David. We are close to both mountains and beaches, and the majority of the fruits and vegetables are grown here. I have a blog https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/

Eduardo, who I mentioned above is the man for you. He will pick you up from the airport or bus, give you a tour, help you find a house, pretty much anything you need in Chiriqui. He speaks fluent English and is reliable and ethical. Eduardo Horna, [email protected]  Of course if you have questions or I can help let me know, but we're living the busy retired life here and have limited time to get involved with anything more.

oh, and getting around shouldn't be a problem. There are buses that go everywhere and inexpensive taxis. Many people here don't own cars and use buses and taxis for everything.

Wouaw,
If you compare PC to New York, that á valid comparison.
We would never have chosen PC, for retirement.
We live in the interior And it costs us with housing 1500$/month.
Yes something are more expensive, but not the fish when you live on the beach..
You can always find expensive life in PC, there are alot of wealthy people in PC.
For us retirement Is definitively in the Pacific side with 6 months á year without á drop .
PC Is rain rain and rain.
The expensive Panama are PC, Coronado and PlayA Blanca, San Blas
The non expensive are El azureros, Provinces of Los Santos, Herera and Veraguas.
We live near the nice town of Chitré at playa El Rompio since 11 years .
An exemple 8$ in á local restaurant for á fresh fish, salad and french fries. , and you can bring your wine. So it Is for us the best retirement place.
Its a must to everyone to see and experience by themself
Max

Pleas, please give those names up.  You are o right about the bribery.  I bought a plot of land but decided not to build....when everything started to smell to much like my budget would double up with bribes

Hola Laura.  I hope you made it to Panama with your 4 babies. Bienvenidos. If you are still looking for answers to bring your dog and cats write, I hope I can help.

Just leaving Orlando, not sure where you moved to, but being a FL native - God willing I will not return. You can find cheap -food and essentials. But housing , it just keeps going up and up. I owned my  home and figured if I retired next year be working p/t at McDs to pay the ins and taxes within 5 yrs.  Every hurricanes adds to your yearly expense thanks God no hurricanes or cold weather in Panama . I am in the city now and yes food etc is very expensive. Unfortunately- we expats are ruining for incoming people.  I left all but my  clothe and looking to buy good used car.  The people are much friendlier here than Orl n forget Tampa - lastly all had become too political for me, Fl with all the northern n western transplants ruined the Tropical atmosphere we had.  As I type- news reads 30s on Wed yikes. So soon all the plants 🌱 fish 🐠 and iguanas 🦎 will die, not to mention the poor manatees.  Staying in Panama and will make it work/ less stress here

Oddly enough I am leaving Panama after 22 years and heading back to Orlando.

My main reason for going back is for medical care.  I rarely need it but when I did I was asked for a huge "deposit" before treatment recently.

Oh no, that is terrible! Do you medical insurance? If not, is it not customary to ask cash patients for a deposit?
The reason I'm asking, is that, although I'm healthy now, the reality is we all get old, and will require medical care later in life.

I do not want to uproot myself agáin in 20 yrs time to be able to receive medical care. Even at my age now, it is a huge stressor!

Lapapuja, I'm curious what you feel will be better in the US for medical care. I know the private system in Panama wants proof you can pay (deposit, credit card, etc) which I can understand. But, everything is so expensive in the US, everyone is drowning in paperwork, and I'm not sure the care is always better. Myself, I'd rather pay in Panama than pay the deductibles in the US. I suppose some depends on what US coverage you have at what cost.

frustration

I am over 65.

Yes, so am I. So you have Medicare? That sill leaves you 20% out of pocket unless you have a Medicare replacement plan, and good luck getting them to pay for anything they can deny. And, you still have to deal with the US system which is not all they lead us to believe. I'm a nurse, I've seen too much. I'll take my chances here. Old people are respected here, something else that factors in to your health care.

I had an emergency visit to a clinic while there and everything was covered.  Even the ambulance to get me to the hospital.  So far everything has been covered but a small co pay on a few prescriptions and some lab tests and x-rays.  I know every state is different but in Florida I am pretty well covered..

You are definitely fortunate then! I was in Florida for 17 years caring for mostly Medicare people before coming to Panama, and that's not the case for most people.

SunsetSteve what you have written is so true, some people are never happy, in a couple of years the same people will be complaining again about where they live, they will never be satisfied. Well written Steve.

Come and see for your self, we have been here 11\2 years and love Panama.

Hello everyone, and thank you for all the information.
I am a newby to this PANAMA MOVING, and at this point, I am mainly interested in knowing if buying an investment (future retirement) property would make sense in COCO BEACH (Chiriqui),10 KM from Puerto Armuelles? I really do not want to be in a region where I will encounter consecutive days of rain, thus any ideas where I could find a villa on a gated community close to the beach in that area, or possibly, any other area?
Thank you so much everyone.
Cheers
Luiz

I have not ever lived on that side of Panama. So good question on the rain part as all I know there is a rainy season - period.  It may not rain all day - but it will rain everyday almost during the season/. Think it's May to Jan - someone can elaborate more.  I would like to retire around that area but the cost of living is worse than Miami ! I was actually shocked at what my co. Pays for my  Apt.  Maybe Mexico for me, in 3 yrs when it's time to retire.

Try to look in the web: playa el Rompio . Near all the needs for retirement.
In the province of Los Santos,  you have a lot of nice place near the beach, but you have to consider the price, and  the facilities . For me to retire. I put in first place clinics and hospital. I found that clinics are good as US, Canada or Europe . All studies for medicine are taken in Europe or US. But Mexico... I 'm to for, in million of years.

Does anyone on this post think they would have stayed if they did something differently?
Examples:
Made more of an effort to learn Spanish.
Settled in a different location.
Purchased instead of renting.
Volunteering.
Etc..

I am not judging, I'm just curious so I don't make the same mistakes.

Take Care,
Jon Q.

I have stayed long term in different places over a span of 8 years
unfortunately panama is not as it used to be
drive around and take a close look
and you will see how many abandoned properties there are
also south america is becoming expensive and difficult to get things done
belize is still easy for people who are able live a simple life

username609, you sound like a very insolent person. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you should attempt to learn and speak Spanish because you are a guest in their country? We are not entitled to everything just because we are English speakers.

Zonian:

Your post had me laughing -- not at you, but at the absurdities of life in general, and expatting in particular. 

Keep writing...you have a gift for satire.  Start collecting such anecdotes, and put them together into an ebook.  You could sell it on Amazon Kindle or sonething.

Best,

Jim
ExpatRusher

Zonian wrote:

The supermarket again. Every time that I get up to the cashier, and unload the cart, I have to push the cart BACK into the store area. No, not through the cashier's checkout aisle, but back. Of course this is no big deal, there's usually only a line of a dozen people behind us who have to move out of the way so I can get the cart BACK into the store.  Once pushed back, the carts happily sit there, in disarray, blocking the overall area for cashiers and store general aisle. On the other side of the cashier there is the bagging boy.  He's usually the one to put everything into another cart so he can haul it to your car.  Of course only about 20% of purchases every get hauled out this way, so all of this makes perfect sense.

Got a traffic ticket the other day. I won't even get into how this ticket was invalid or how bad an experience that was with the police officer.  No, let's just talk about paying the ticket. Of course, to pay the ticket you have to go to a local office, usually in some run-down mall or building. Once you've stood in line at that office, they'll tell you that its actually not there where you pay, even though outside its clearly signed as that government's agency. So make your way to the other office, and stand in line there. Of course, to pay a ticket however, your ticket must first be registered in the system. So you must stand in that line and tell them to register your ticket.  Once you've done that, then you can stand in the other line to actually pay it. If you ask about "doing this online", they will look at you as if you are from, well, another country.

HA!!  Yes, about the supermarkets. Then I forget when I go to the US, and try to push the cart back behind the checkout and they look at me like I'm crazy.

You paid a ticket, and only 2-3 lines? and no copies of anything? Getting anything done with government and bureaucracy  is a process, for sure, and usually involves multiple stops and multiple copies of various things, and don't even think of going around lunch hour. Plan for a new adventure and an opportunity to practice high level patience, and learn new Spanish vocab, and maybe make a new friend or two while waiting in lines.

Panama has been discovered,  around 2010 or so foreign entities and government policies started to push the poor and low income out of the city in an effort to sell that property to developers and foreign investors.