Cheapest Flights to Brazil

Hello!

Any advice for buying an affordable round trip or one way ticket to Brazil?
I think I will be flying to Minas Gerais, but I am willing to fly into another state and take a train or bus, or I am willing to stop into a neighboring country. Any tips or tricks?
Also, it seems that one way tickets are more expensive than round trip tickets for some reason. Why is that?

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Marcia

If you're final destination is Minas Gerais then you have no option other than to fly into São Paulo - Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) airport or Rio de Janeiro Antonio Carlos Jobim - Galeão International Airport (GIG) and bus from there.

Check the prices for Copa Airlines, they're usually lower than the US carriers. If you are flexible with your dates and purchase tickets as far in advance as possible you'll also get lower prices.

One way tickets have ALWAYS been more expensive than round-trip everywhere, that's just the way airlines operate. You get a lower price when you're booking two flights with them instead of just one. Also, don't forget if you are coming to Brazil as a tourist, you are required to produce an "outbound" ticket to the Federal Police when you arrive in Brazil. That is not necessarily a "return" ticket, just one to another country which you have a visa for or can enter without a visa. It must be dated within the 90 day maximum initial stay, so I'd recommend a ticket that allows you to make changes to the date in case you apply for an extension of your stay.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

For me, US Airways and TAM have been the cheapest. But there are times where other airlines are cheaper (like COPA), there's no silver bullet answer for the cheapest airline.

I suggest using

kayak.com
momondo.com
https://www.google.com/flights/

Use all three and see what comes up the cheapest and play around with the dates. I rarely ever order from those websites, but I use them as a tool to see what airlines are the cheapest on those dates and order directly from the airline. As James said, it's better to order 2 - 3 months in advanced.

Watch your step there cupofjoe, you're getting closer all the time to filling my shoes if I ever go on vacation!  :D

You don't want to know just how much work that will be for you!

Seriously folks, he's beginning to outshine the teacher here, lately he's been batting 1000 with his advice. Keep up the good work joe and thanks a bundle for your input on this one.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Like James said, I check kayak.com every few days and watch the prices. Then buy from airline by calling them. This last time it was all the way up to 40 days before departure when prices dropped significantly and I bought. Usually $1300 a ticket to $837, it even dropped further to $796. For a family of 4 this is a great deal! DFW-GYN, I return this Saturday. Will permanently live here in December.