Mischief conviction in Singapore, is it CIMT?

I was convicted of mischief under Singapore Penal Code section 426 and 427 last year. I am now looking to travel to the US as an immigrant on a diversity visa I was recently selected in.

First of all, is my conviction of mischief a CIMT (Crime Involving Moral Turpitude)?

This was a dispute with my landlord who entered my room naked, when through my belongings and took photos while I was showering and while I was out. I moved out because of this, and now he won't return my deposit back. I filed for small claims, and he didn't show up in court and so I won the judgment. At the end of the day, I was the one who had to enforce the order and got sick and tired of all the paper work and cost and committed mischief.

The judge fined me $2500 Singapore dollars. I didn't do any prison time.

Given the above, what are my chances of being approved a DV-1 immigrant visa?

atomikpinup wrote:

I was convicted of mischief under Singapore Penal Code section 426 and 427 last year. I am now looking to travel to the US as an immigrant on a diversity visa I was recently selected in.

First of all, is my conviction of mischief a CIMT (Crime Involving Moral Turpitude)?

This was a dispute with my landlord who entered my room naked, when through my belongings and took photos while I was showering and while I was out. I moved out because of this, and now he won't return my deposit back. I filed for small claims, and he didn't show up in court and so I won the judgment. At the end of the day, I was the one who had to enforce the order and got sick and tired of all the paper work and cost and committed mischief.

The judge fined me $2500 Singapore dollars. I didn't do any prison time.

Given the above, what are my chances of being approved a DV-1 immigrant visa?

I personally do not see a problem with such a minor misdeed. Perhaps you could contact the immigration authorities and ask the question to them.

Mischief is illegal in Singapore?  It's encouraged in many parts of the United States.

I am not a lawyer but lived in Singapore for four year plus. Singapore landlords are tricky to work with. I don't think this issue will give negative impact to your application but you have to be honest and include information about it.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Mischief is illegal in Singapore?  It's encouraged in many parts of the United States.

Actually an American guy living in Singapore even encouraged me to hire some big Thai guys to intimidate him to pay up. Needless to say, I didn't do that.

Ryanakit wrote:

I am not a lawyer but lived in Singapore for four year plus. Singapore landlords are tricky to work with. I don't think this issue will give negative impact to your application but you have to be honest and include information about it.

Yes, Singapore is notorious for tricky greedy landlords, I am glad you agree with that. Yes, I told my entire story in the DS-260 form. I have nothing to hide.

Every Thai I've ever seen could be blown over by a strong wind.  You should hire some Indonesians if you need an enforcer.