Latest info on visa run to Cambodia?

Hi Everybody,

I have a French passport. I'm living in HCMC. My visa will expire on June 17th, marking my first complete year living in Vietnam.

I got a visa on arrival when I landed in Vietnam in June last year, then I extended it 3 times: in September, in December, and in March. Every time I extended it, the procedure was getting more expensive.

I'm not sure that I can extend it one more time. And even if I can, I'm afraid that it's going to be pretty expensive! So I'm thinking about doing a visa run to Cambodia (shortest trip as possible since I'm working and can't take many days off to do so) in order to renew my visa (instead of just extending the current one).

I'd like to know, are there any expats who did the same recently, and who can give me some sound advice about how to deal with that? I looked on internet and I found many different testimonials, and I feel like information are a bit contradictory sometimes. And it also seems like the 'laws' change every now and then in Vietnam so I'm not sure about the reliability of information gathered here and there on internet.

My plan is to leave to Cambodia on the weekend of June 14-15th (my visa expires the 17th). Should I rather go to Phnom Penh or Sihanouk? I just need a 3 months single entry visa (I have to go back to France in september for a couple of weeks).

I sent mails to the embassy of Vietnam in PP (both in english and vietnamese) about the procedure but they didn't bother replying.

My question is, how long does it take to issue a visa at the embassy of Vietnam in Cambodia? Should I expect any hassle? Am I going to pay the official fee or should I expect to pay also coffee money? Can I do it in 1-2-3 days? Are they working on weekends? What do you think could be the cheapest way to get what I want (including transport from HCMC, hotel, Visa fee for Cambodia, visa fee for Vietnam, food, etc)??

Hope to get useful information from fellow expats soon!

Cheers yall,
F.

Normally you only can do the extension 2 times after the first entry  :)
You are lucky to extend more than that because of the Vietnamese system of administration.
Still it's possible to do that here  :)
If you want to do a 'visa run' just go to Sihanoukville which where not much hassles and you can do it within 2 days if you go directly or if you approach some travel agency within 6 hours or less  :)
I cannot predict the mood of that 'devils' in Phnom Penh if you go directly.

Hello emoiii,

I would suggest you check out our guide to living in Vietnam. The link will take you directly to the visas section where there are some articles that might bring more light to your query.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi,

Pls call those people http://www.vietnam-visa.com/

I think you can ask them how to extend a visa more than 3 months.

Good luck.

I used starvietnamvisa.com to apply for a visa online with the stipulation that I would collect it from the Embassy in PP. It took all of 15mins to process. $36 for return bus with Mekong Express. Best company to trav with oit of a dodgy lot. $15 for a songle room at Rorys Pub if you need to stay over night.