Info Request about Living/Working in Cuenca, Ecuador

Deleted

Hi Ricky,

I moved the discussion to the Ecuador forum and removed your current address (you shouldn't give it on forums)

Julien wrote:

Hi Ricky,

I moved the discussion to the Ecuador forum and removed your current address (you shouldn't give it on forums)

Thank You........I didn't know quite what I was doing?

Are my other posts in the correct place?

Thanks for your help........Rick

No prob don't worry. Just make sure you post on this forum https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=519 (you posted all your messages on the wrong forum)

Julien wrote:

Hi Ricky,

Thank you.........That was very kind of you.

Hi Rick - There are several sites that list rentals in Cuenca as well as other locations in Ecuador.
Here is a good one I found that lists apartments from $250.00 dollars a month and up. Don't be surprised, real estate is a lot cheaper in ecuador than in the U.S.

cuencarealestate.com/Listings.aspx?type=2

If you have trouble finding something, send me an email.

John Carr

Hi John , read your blog and have tried the webb-site you gave without any luck. My girlfriend and I are arriving in Cuenca on the 9th Sept. We want to look around Ecuador with Cuenca as our main city to settle in. We are planning on staying 1 month to find out how we would like to retire in Ecuador.  We do need some help in trying to rent a House or Apartment for the month.We are young thinking Seniors stuck with a budget!!!
If you could direct us to some reasonable priced rentals, I would deeply appreciate your help.
Many Thanks
Saorise.

Hi Saorise - Why don't you write to Lori? She is an American expat living in Loja. She seems to be very knowledgeable and because she lives in Ecuador I am sure she can give you better tips than I can.
Her blog is at: livinginloja.com
Her email is:  [email protected]

The weather in Cuenca is really mild. There is no air conditioning installed in apartments or houses Cuenca. None of the businesses are air conditioned. We have a fan which we use occasionally at night to make sleeping more comfortable. I suppose that you could go down to Guayaquil and purchase a window unit to use in Cuenca if necessary.

"I also plan on teaching English.  I have a B.S. in English and would do whatever is necessary to meet the requirements to teach English.  I am living on Social Security Disability, so I can only make less than $1000. a month............."

Don't worry, you could not make more than $1000 per month. The going rate for private English lesions is $5 to $8 per hour.

You won't need AC in Cuenca and you won't find it.  If you think you need it before you even get here you're setting yourself up for a negative experience.  Come with your cup "half-full" and experience the climate (and everything else) objectively.

Yeah,  I think the most you could make as a teacher here would be working for one of the Universities, some of which pay up to $13 per hour.  You would most likely be working 10 - 20 hours per week which would still work out to much less than $1000 per month.

Best Regards,

Benjamin
(moderated)

I recommend you come down to Ecuador first, then look for a rental...anything you find on the net will probably be higher priced, besides you MUST see it first before committing...

good luck, suerte!
Dom

Hi Everyone,

We are a newly retired couple living in Ajijic, Mexico; however, we are interested in looking at Cuenca.  We would like to come for up to a month and are wondering what the best way to find a short term rental is.  If anyone knows the best way to find a short term rental, please let us know.

Thanks for all your information and help,

Rodrigo Bass