Should we move the entire family to shanghai?

my wife and i are considering an offer to move to shanghai (she works and i am an artist/stay at home dad). the kids are 5 and 2... are we crazy for even considering this???

is shanghai family friendly?
are there good schools for 'western education'?
what parts of town should we look at?
will i go crazy as a stay at home dad... in CHINA!?!

any other related info would be great...

just a note, before we had kids we backpacked through thailand, cambodia, vietnam, loas and burma...

We've lived in Shanghai for the last 18 months, and found it to be a great place to live. I've got 2 yr old and 4 yr old girls.

There is probably 3 main areas to look at living.
- Hongqiao (west of Shanghai) is where a lot of international schools are, and have larger compounds and a big expat community (mainly British, Australia etc)

- Pudong (east of Shanghai), again a lot of international schools and large compounds for expats (mainly American)

- Jing'An, French Concession (Downtown Shanghai) There is plenty of suitable apartment complexes for expats, and this is where we are living. We chose this location so I am close to work, and since the kids are young and can go to one of the several international kindergartens in the area.

There is plenty to do in Shanghai with the kids, it's a very clean city and with so many expats you won't get too many stares from people.

It can be a very expensive city, with a good apartment costing us$4000-$6000 a month. There is a western/import supermarket chain, but again very expensive. To eat at a nice restaurant can set you back $200 or so for a couple with drinks.

I'd recommend doing a search for 'Shanghai Expat' on google, and you'll find more information and more knowledgeable people who can help you further.

Wrenchwear and Guinnes, welcome to Expat.com!
Enjoy and participate!

It seems you know the answer to some of your questions. JW

Yes!  Come to Shanghai!  It is a great city for families.  Great International schools all over the city.  Love living in Shanghai!

I am in the midst of negotiating the package for my job offer, my wife is probably going to quit her job and join me in Shanghai if I decided to really to, however, looking at the income tax, it is actually quite ridiculous comparing with what we are paying in our home country.

Any advise or insight information on managing the package and personal income tax?

TIA!

Hi g3827100,

maybe you should start a new (and dedicated) discussion on the Shanghai forum?

an international but expensive city to live in.

Hi Wrenchwear,

If you and your wife considering a Work related move to Shanghai, well, for sure its always good to move with all the family so nobody is/are left behind... You need to consider many option which I believed you're checking at it by now. Don't worry about :

International Schools.....Plenty of it in here, its your choice according to your budget.
Shanghai Family Friendly ?....... Yes, I think so, you will see lots of expats in here with their kids along.....like me....
Lots of Activities to do, don't worry...just need to know what you want to do and make your research about it...
Parts of town ?......Guinness made some suggestions, try to weigh in your options.

Best of all.......You'll not get crazy in here. Give time yourself to adjust to a new environment, culture and people and you'll get along, day by day!......

China is a very interesting country to experience......Shanghai is a good start!

Goodluck!.......

There are many good places in Shanghai that can accomodate you and your entire families! I wrote a short guide on my Wordpress blog. you can check it out at - shanghaiproperties.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/shanghai-properties-for-families
I hope you will find it helpful

Adrienne Farrelly

Shanghai is good, but busy and expensive if you like this kind of life. I've been there once and can not get used to it, then I come back to Chengdu, easy and comfortable city :D

Wherever you go, compared with your family is the happiest thing! :)