School panic

Hi my husband has been offered a job in Kobar and myself and our 3 boys are in the process of organising a move to Bahrain. I'm wondering if anyone could help me with some advise about schooling.
I have seen from the forum and from contacting the schools that St.Chris and BSB are almost impossible to get into for sept and am wondering if it's even worth my while applying.
The most likely option seems to be the multinternational school in Adlyia. My worry is where would be the best place to live. We need to be close to the causeway but I also don't fancy a crazy school run for the boys. I know I could apply to St.Chris or BSB and wait for a place to come up but I really want to avoid settling my boys into a school and then move unless I absolutely have to. My boys are 4 and 7 btw.
As for where we live, I would ideally like a compound with other families and facilities close by.
I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

Good afternoon..... we really know what you are going through.
We were in a similar position both in Dubai and Bahrain. Fortunately we got a place for our daughter.
We are from Ireland too so if you want a friendly chat PM my wife she will talk you through everything, however this site has a great bunch of people contributing so I am sure you will get some advice for most things.
The people on here have really helped us a lot.

Get your kids on the waiting lists for St Chris and BSB now.  You never know!!

If you dont want to go the multinational then try Nadeen in Adliya.  It goes up to Year 6 and is very good and everyone here is used to kids starting in one school and moving to another when a space opens up.  You will be surprised how adaptable kids are and this is such a small island that they will retain their friendships where ever they go.

Janabiya/Hamala/Saar would be closest to the causeway and BSB and St Chris.  Yes, you will have to travel to Adliya (20-30 minutes) if you cant get into them in the interim but it's not that bad and loads of people do it.  You could also look at the British Prep for your youngest if you can get the older one into BSB/St Chris.

Dont give up - there are options.

Good luck

:)

Thanks so much for replys. Will send in applications and hope for the best

We had the same predicament. We had applied in early January at St. Chris and BSB. St. Chris are absolutely full and refused to even consider putting the children on waiting lists.

BSB accepted our applications and conducted an overseas assessment for our elder son. He cleared it and has been accepted for grade 5 (year 6). The younger one is 4 and he will have to be assessed in person.

We are still waiting for our work visas, though. The Government Departments seem to be taking forever.....

Hi Js-mom,

We just moved 2 weeks ago, my daughter just started the school (BSB) today.
I know how you feel now as we were in the same situation but as scottrace said send you application first, once you pay the BD50 they will call you.
Priority always to relocation, one of my colleagues has been told we don't have a place but once he shows his passport they said ( let me check again  :D ), by the way I'm talking about St Chris.

Please let me know if you have any question regarding to BSB.
scottrace always there to help as she helped me a lot as well  :one

Good luck

I really can't thank ye enough for all the advise. I've been a nervous wreck :) I've been photocopying away like a crazy woman so I can get my applications in by the morning so hopefully the schooling gods will b smiling down on me.
Any advise regarding where to live. My husband will b there in a couple of weeks but we won't join him until the summer. Would b great to b able to steer him in the right direction when house hunting or we might end up next door to a golf club!

St Chris may find space depending on which company you work for.  I am told they keep spaces aside for their sponsors.

Welcome to the BSB family 3dadicct :)  I forget what year your daughter is in.  Maybe will see you around.

Js-mom - unless you are moving to Riffa it wont be near the golf course ;)  Try Janabiya or Hamala or Saar or Jasra (if you have a nice budget) and then you will be near the school and the expat clubs and the causeway.

Shout if you need help.

Hi Js-mom,

We are in a similar situation.  Our son (5) has done the assessment at BSB and is on the waiting list for there.  We too are hoping that he will be able to start there in the next school year!  I have to collect his completed medical form from the Drs and email that across now it is signed.

We are renting a place in New Janabiya (just opposite BSB) which is on a little compound with children's play area, pool, gym etc.  My husband works in Saudi and is finding his commute is OK from there.

When it comes to renting I would suggest that you aim to get an all inclusive package (inc of electric, internet, satellite TV etc,).

I hope that everything goes well for you.

All the best.

We are visiting BSB on the 8th. If thee anything you would like us to ask just PM me.
We are fortunate that we have a place and we have to pay the fees by the 15th May for September.
We are going to have a look around for housing when we are there as we are staying for 3 days.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Hubby is KSA so would like somewhere where I can make coffee and bake for single housewives like me  :D
Would like to get back into tennis, doing a bit of painting, voluntary work and love shopping of course. Well I am Irish.

Omeath
Ye are so lucky to have a place. I've the application gone in and my fingers are crossed. Can't wait to hear what u think of the school. My hubby will visit in the next few weeks.
As for housing I'm afraid I haven't a clue. We are mainly looking in Saar and Hamala but we are really just going on others advise. Finding it hard to find fully furnished so hopefully something will come up. I'll be dying to hear what u think when u go visit.

Sent you an e mail JS