How to start?

Hello, being new on this forum and site i have some questions. Of course all have something to do with living in Japan ~going to Japan. As i consider this i would like to know something more about the following stuff. Experiences are appreciated!

How to start: when you decided to go
>> How did you find your job. Did you follow extra courses to get the desired job? What sorta jobs are available besides being an English teacher. (I ask this because it would influence any future studying)
>> How easy/hard is it to find a job?
>> How did you search for accommodation
>> English teacher: what if the English language is not the native language? And what about other languages besides English?

Financial:
>> Living in Japan is expensive~from what i heard. Earlier experiences there do tell me that accommodation is expensive and getting around. What did you do in the beginning to get accommodation? What about finding a house/renting an apartment? Would you consider this the most difficult step?
>> Social health care. How is this topic towards foreigners? What about pension?

Language:
>> I am now learning the Japanese language. I can get around quite well and my Japanese improves VERY quickly when using it active. Is this important in the procedure of getting a job/house/... in Japan?

Last but not least:
EXPERIENCES! I would love to hear how people start from scratch(or not?) in Japan. I have been there for a month, got to know Japanese people, have been to a Japanese school that teaches English to kids etc etc. I enjoyed this a lot!

I know this post is long, but i think this will also be very useful to others as this gives some sorta overview.

Thanks!

Hello Akimomo! In answer to your questions:

Akimomo wrote:

How to start: when you decided to go

I decided to go about a year before I actually went. I applied for an English teaching job through the JET program.

Akimomo wrote:

>> How did you find your job. Did you follow extra courses to get the desired job? What sorta jobs are available besides being an English teacher. (I ask this because it would influence any future studying)

Applied through JET. I didn't need extra courses, only a Bachelor's degree (four year degree). There are private english conversation companies as well, but most of them require a four year degree (some like TEFL or ESL experience or certifications). As for anything aside English teaching, it depends on your field of interest, but most jobs will require at least some communicative Japanese ability (if not fluency).

Akimomo wrote:

>> How easy/hard is it to find a job?

It's relatively easy to find an English teaching job while living in Japan. As for outside of Japan, finding English teaching jobs are the easiest. (Although some, like JET, are competitive).

Akimomo wrote:

>> How did you search for accommodation

My housing was taken care of, but there are plenty of websites out there that offer to help with housing. Finding housing in a bigger city like Tokyo, etc, is often easier than smaller cities. Especially without Japanese ability.

Akimomo wrote:

>> English teacher: what if the English language is not the native language? And what about other languages besides English?

If English is not your native language, then you have to prove you are fluent and capable of teaching it. Some companies are ok with this. (Some are not.) It is possible to teach other languages here, like Chinese, Spanish, French, etc... but it depends on the company.

Akimomo wrote:

Financial:
>> Living in Japan is expensive~from what i heard. Earlier experiences there do tell me that accommodation is expensive and getting around. What did you do in the beginning to get accommodation? What about finding a house/renting an apartment? Would you consider this the most difficult step?

My housing was taken care of, and subsidized. If you get an English teaching job, many companies offer teacher's housing. Otherwise, yes, accommodation is expensive. Finding an apartment on your own is difficult.

Akimomo wrote:

>> Social health care. How is this topic towards foreigners? What about pension?

Foreigners have to have health insurance. It's cheap, although sometimes a pain to find doctors who understand English (and will actually listen to you). Pension depends on the job you have and your employer.

Akimomo wrote:

Language:
>> I am now learning the Japanese language. I can get around quite well and my Japanese improves VERY quickly when using it active. Is this important in the procedure of getting a job/house/... in Japan?

Yes. See above.

Akimomo wrote:

Last but not least:
EXPERIENCES! I would love to hear how people start from scratch(or not?) in Japan. I have been there for a month, got to know Japanese people, have been to a Japanese school that teaches English to kids etc etc. I enjoyed this a lot!

I know this post is long, but i think this will also be very useful to others as this gives some sorta overview.

Thanks!

I was fortunate not to have to start from scratch, though I know some people who do. It is more difficult, but being able to speak Japanese (and having Japanese friends to help you) will go a long way! You'll need a work visa though, to stay, so it's best to locate a job so you'll be able to stay longer than the 90 days with a tourist visa.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me more questions!

Yes this helped, thanks a lot. I heard about that JET program before so i found some information about it.

You are saying that you applied through JET and that you needed a 4 year bachelor degree. Now, is this bachelor degree English or no matter what degree? I thought it didn't matter which degree it was. But if i don't go for English, the one i will do has 3 years for the bachelor and then 2 years "master". Will this be okay too?

Teaching English does require some certificates. Are certificates only enough if you want to teach English and you are not a native speaker? Or in that case, would it really be necessary to have a degree in English?

As for the other languages, is it also easy to find a job in these?

Is the transport in your case also subsidized?

Thanks for your reply!

For JET, the degree does not matter - it can be any subject. Most companies are like this, but not all. Some will require a TEFL or ESL certification, but not all. Yes, getting a Master's degree would definitely help you! Just make sure they fulfill all the typical requirements and you can prove you completed them!:)

You don't need TEFL or ESL for JET... and some other Eikaiwa (english conversation) companies. But, as I said, some might want you to have it (it also can help you a lot too). If you can prove your English ability (through a test of some kind) then it may help you a lot (at least to show you are capable of teaching proper English).

As for other languages, I've never looked for a job in any of them, and they aren't as popular as English here (although I'm sure Chinese and Korean may be quite popular among business people). You may be able to find tutoring jobs... and sometimes JET hires people from non-English speaking countries to teach their specific language... (More rare, but it happens).

Transport as in, transportation? No, none of that was paid for. But, I lived close to my school so I could walk or ride my bike. Official teachers sometimes get reimbursed for transportation if they live far away, but not all the time... In Japan though it's usually easy to get around by bike, train, bus and on foot (and cheaper). I am planning to get a car later this year, but mostly for convenience... I'll still use my bike most of the time. Public transportation is fast and efficient here.

Let me know if you have more questions! :D

This sure helps a lot! So, if i have understood everything well, going for a non English degree won't lower my chances to get a English teaching job?

I am willing to get some certificates etc, but i thought it would be risky to choose my degree solely based on the fact that i seriously like the idea of living in Japan.

Nevertheless, i didn't like the idea either of choosing a degree that would eliminate any chance to live in Japan...

No, any degree will usually be fine. Some employers may want to see an English degree... but many don't care. Study what you are most interested in - that's the best way to go!:D

>> Living in Japan is expensive~from what i heard.

This is a half-truth.  Yes it probably is a tad more expensive.  But not if you think about it in terms of the currency and actually try to live like a local.  Usually when people say things are expensive, its b/c they are trying to live the same way they lived back in the home countries.

I don't live the same way I did in my home country - I adapt to wherever I am. That said, Japan is considered an expensive place to live relative to the rest of the world. In the context of housing, it is expensive, especially in urban areas. So is land. Doesn't mean there aren't deals out there, but JETs really are lucky with subsidized housing.

Im an experienced senior civil engineer planing to come to japan for work.i also speak read and write three languages like english(upper intermediate certificate),arabic and persian(farsi-mother tongue) and have computer skill in word. what i want to know is that can i find a job in construction(building)field? like towers,pilling works etc. thanks alot

Hello alibonyadi1 and welcome to Expat.com :)

You should post in Japan's classifieds -> Construction jobs. Wishing you success.

Arlette