Want to teach abroad

Hi all,

My name is Sara and I am a science teacher in Chicago, USA. I have always wanted to teach abroad, and with changes in my district and an appreciation of the British education model, I am looking to move in the summer of 2015. Although a ways away, I wanted to start my research now. I have extensively researched TimePlan, an organization that finds placements for American teachers in England but I don't know a lot about the different areas. Ideally I'd like to be near the countryside but also be accessible to London. I would also prefer an area with good public transportation and on the cheaper side for living. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

Hi,

Canterbury is one of the best for your requirements if not the best. You won't find a better place, neither you would regret. One hour to London with a luxury of ancient cathedral city with unmatched countryside beauty. relatively cheap too.

Good luck !

Hello Shahn017,

I am happy to Welcome you to Expat.com :D

I created a new thread with your request about working abroad on the England forum as it may help you to receive more specific answers from the members. ;)

Have a nice day,

Priscilla

Hey, Sara.  My name is Joanna, and I'm a music teacher here in Bristol, which is about a 2-hour car/bus ride to London or 1 1/2 hours by train.  I've been here for nearly 5 years along with my Bristolian husband.  I started teaching as a supply teacher (substitute) for several different agencies.  That experience gave me a good feel of the different types of schools that are typical here in the UK.  Once I realized that I would actually make more money and be much happier as my own boss, I set out to open my own piano studio right from my small livingroom.  I'm now celebrating my third full year at 3 Eighth Notes Music Studio, and loving every minute of it.  I have 45 private piano students, plus I teach every Monday as a peripatetic piano and keyboard teacher at a very nice high school named St. Mary Redcliffe and Temple School.  Life is good here.  Always something interesting going on regarding live performances of bands, theatre, dance, drama, comedy, folk art, well, you name it.  All kinds of festivals happen throughout the year, so I promise you'll never be bored.  There is a very active American expat group here in Bristol that meets at least once per month for social gatherings and holiday celebrations.  I hope you find just the right place for you to settle down and gain a sense of belonging.  I know the first year or so will be a huge culture shock/adjustment, so be patient and do try to talk with others.  Don't isolate yourself when you're feeling homesick.  Hope this helps, even if it's just a little.  Please feel free to look me up on Facebook or find my web page at:  3 Eighth Notes Music Studio.  Best wishes.