Seeking a job directly in Singapore

Hallo  :) ,

let me introduce myself,
I'm a 30yo italian IT developer with more than 10 years of experience.

I visited Singapore in June and I found the city/nation and the melting pot of the society fantastic, so I was immediately eager to have a long time experience there; also my girlfriend will soon relocate to Kedah, Malaysia for a master in an university, so my interest for South-East Asia is growing every day more. :D

I don't wanna torment you with questions that probably others made before me in this forum, but I want to have just some opinions on this topics:
- is it legal in Singapore to seek a job with a tourist visa? Or an aspiring expat needs another kind of visa? Also are 2-3 weeks for seeking/interviews too few?
- are there some chances to find a job in the IT field for a profile like mine? I've a lot fo experience and skills to put in game but I lack of an university degree and of course I'm not a local in a working field that I suppose is competitive and many singaporeans work in it.

Thanks guys,
Swanimeer

Swanimeer wrote:

is it legal in Singapore to seek a job with a tourist visa?

Yes, job search (and interviews) are allowed on a tourist visa (SVP).

Swanimeer wrote:

Also are 2-3 weeks for seeking/interviews too few?

Unless you are in a heavily sought-after niche and start contacting companies before your trip to arrange interviews, you'll need 2 - 3 months at least.

Swanimeer wrote:

are there some chances to find a job in the IT field for a profile like mine?

I don't know your speciality and skills, but there are many IT jobs in general.
You will compete with third world labour, though, mainly from India, so you will earn much less than in Europe.

Swanimeer wrote:

I lack of an university degree

Without a recognised university degree, you will have big problems getting a work visa.

Hi Beppi and thank you for the reply!
Now it's more clear for me.

I think is not possible to get a tourist visa for 2-3 months, I didn't checked on the SGP site but it's unlikely.

Yeah I just checked for jobs in Singapore looking on the job-seeking sites, those that fit my skills (web development, mobile apps, ...) sometimes require a degree and sometimes the diploma, but yes I know that the IT field in the asian big cities is competitive and inflated with workers mostly from South Asia, btw isn't the salary that bother me ;)

I did an online test that help you finding the SGP working visa that most fit your profile and the result was a working visa "S", I really didn't understood well the opportunities with that visa but I think isn't A-level.

Only another question:
- is possible to exploit a job-seeking agency in Singapore being there as a tourist?

Thank you again!

Most Europeans and citizens of other developed countries get a 90-days visa on arrival, the others get 30 days and can renew it up to 89 days.
If the online tool says you can get an S-Pass (which is the visa  for technically skilled people without university degree, earning S$2200-3300/month), that is good news!
Job agencies (a.k.a. headhunters) in Singapore are not very useful - but at least they're free of charge.

Thanks Beppi! :)

I'll try to arrange something, last time I went to SGP in June and I think that month is perfect for a lot of reasons, btw still I didn't decided, even because I'm actually under contract here in Italy with a company that doesn't let me take more than 2 weeks of vacation before August.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
Swanimeer

ah also I saw that for IT companies in SGP there's a cap of 15% of S-passes, and if they have employees in excess MOM will cancel the work passes of excess Work Permit and S Pass holders.

Thanks guys! :)

The allowed ratio of foreigners (on WP and S-Pass) in a company depends on various factors and is set by MoM.
It can be Zero (as is the case for many startups).
And yes, if they are at the limit and a local resigns, they must get rid of a foreigner, too!

Edited to add: The best time for a job search in Singapore is right after Chinese New Year (which is NOW!), because many employees wait with their resignation until the CNY bonusses are paid out.

Ah thanks Beppi I read the edited text right now! :)

Also I found this list of manpower agencies (probably a bit outdated):
http://dougleschan.com/the-recruitment- … rk-passes/

I see that most of these agencies don't have a site with a job seeking engine so probably a person can contact them only with email/phone or, better, directly going there.
Do you know if these agencies are only for people that are already relocated in Singapore or they accept even resumes from people living abroad?

Thank you again!
Stefano

Don't put too much hope into those recruitment agencies!
(And never pay for their service, as that is illegal.)