Maybe Moving to Xiamen!

Hello All!

I am considering a serious move to Xiamen and I was wondering on a few things and if guys wouldn't mind pitching in and giving me some advice.

The pay offered seems a little too low for an expat in China, but the benefits are good. Where would the best place to live in Xiamen for an expat? As in, a place where expat oriented shops would be found, like a supermarket and maybe a couple of bars. I've been in Wuhan for 3 yrs and know how important those little details would be! hehe

As far as hospitals go, are there any good ones... Just in case! And the health insurance companies that would be accepted there, which ones are they? Does anyone know? I know of the complexities of dealing with hospitals in China, and would like to be a little more prepared before I decide to go.

What is the food situation? Other than the hotel buffets that seem to be popular there, any other nice western restaurants there?

If rent and the bills that come with it aren't included, what would be an average monthly budget in Xiamen? I.e. Eat out a few times a week, enjoy my weekends at the local bars and maybe just chill at a Starbucks or something a couple times a week... Oh, and join a good gym and some outdoor sports clubs!!

Any advice on what benefits I should absolutely insist on in a 'living in Xiamen context'? Other than a place to live, a ticket home at least once a year and health insurance? I ask this because although I have been an "expat" all my life, I've found that being an expat in China is quite different and my expat life in China has been more of the student type! hehe

I would much appreciate any advice you guys wouldn't mind giving since, other than the pay, the job seems quite ideal for me!

Thank you :) I know I am asking quite a few questions, but I would rather be prepared before I go negotiate the start of my career!!

Hello All!

In an attempt to educate and help myself too, I found this article online, but it is a little dated (last updated in 2008) and if I know China well, things change in a few months here, let alone a couple of years! hehe

Would someone mind taking a look and letting me know if its still accurate?

Thanks!

whatsonxiamen.com/share_exp_show.php?titleid=20

Bonjour,
Où êtes vous depuis votre séjour à Xiamen ? Votre post n'est pas récent.
Je suis sure que beaucoup seront contents d'avoir de vos nouvelles.
Merci. Bonne continuation. A bientôt.
Une compatriote (origine libanaise)
Claude.
claudepeace at gmail.com

Hi claude,

Can you please write in english here on this english speaking forum, so that other members can understand and willing to participate? ;)

Thanks,

Priscilla