Give birth in Malta

Hello , I want to ask how much cost give birth (( natural ))in mater die hospital  for foreigner ((not Maltese )

Hi, Mater Dei is a state hospital, if you pay contribution into NI (or your husband does) you are eligible for free care, even if you are not Maltese.

Helle , thank you very much for your explain , but unfortunately we don't pay contribution because I am studying here , how can I pay it ? And if you know how much giving birth costes in Mater Dei

Hi,

I assume as a student you have to have some kind of health insurance. If you have a private insurance check your policy (normally child birth is not covered) maybe some check up and procedures are. Otherwise you will have to pay the full costs, but difficult to say how much as  no two child birth are the same. Check with Mater Dei and ask around private hospitals.

The costs will be a few thousand Euro's upwards , depending on the circumstances,

If you do not have health insurance coverage you will be asked to pay upfront or give a guarantee.

Cheers

Ricky

You are probably right Ricky....8 years ago it was around 1300 Lira in St. James (3000 Euros.)

I had a non-Maltese EU friend who had to take treatment at another hospital recently and could not pay upfront. They took his passport as guarantee.

In the meantime he passed away without paying and they still have his passport ! But I guess where he went he will not need one -)))

Cheers
Ricky