Willing to volunteer intacloban

hi every one, We all know that Tacloban and other places in visayas are now suffering because of typhoon Yolando ( haiyan), i still have available vacation leave in the company where i am working instead of using it for relaxation or long vacation i want to spend it by helping people who are really in a bad situation right now. I am willing to volunteer anywhere in visayas that will make me feel much better than to relax in a comportable place or beaches. If anyone can help me to be a part of your organization please help me i want to be part of it.

I think the best way to help is to give money donations to organizations that have relief operations in Haiyan ravaged areas.

Some organizations will put your donations in a fund that will help the victims, but will use the excess for use for other areas affected by future calamities. So, pick the ones which make sure that your money goes directly to providing immediate aid to those affected by Haiyan. 

Usually these are local tv / media networks. I found one and made a pledge / donation. You can also buy one of these networks' t-shirts for fundraising.

My family has been trying to help out.  What my parents donated was their large old, but still in perfect working condition, electric generator, which we use for power outages. Hopefully, it could be put to good use, such as for running hospital equipment.

The other day, I looked through my closet to find clothes that I haven't worn which I could donate, but stopped. Though they're all in very good condition, most of them were business and formal blouses. So, I just sent monetary donations.

You don't need to be in Tacloban to help out. You might get sick or just be an extra person to feed with relief goods.

For those of us who were not directly affected by this super typhoon, let it be a wake up call to us to be prepared, whether it be a typhoon, flood, fire or earthquake. We would need at least 7 days' worth of food, water and other supplies. There are websites which have guides on how to prepare.

hi mylyn -check this thread http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t … 6#21113306  ,you will find some contacts there   .

Here's a story from a client who's from Tacloban whom I talked to just this afternoon:

My client, who's an engineer, went here to Manila to manage a project. He's originally from Tacloban. At the height of the storm, his wife and son were in Tacloban, while he was here in Manila.

After the storm, he wanted to get his family out of Tacloban. There were no direct flights to Tacloban, so he flew to Cebu, took a boat, and then rented a car and hired a driver. He was hardpressed to find a someone who was willing to drive him to Tacloban, but after  begging someone to help him, he was able to rent a car and driver (for an extremely hefty fee). He picked up his family, took a boat back to Cebu, and from Cebu flew back to Manila. He arrived in Manila just yesterday.

He said it was a blessing that he was here in Manila when the typhoon happened, because if he got stuck in Tacloban with his family, it would have been very hard to get out of there, if at all.

When he got to his house, there was knee-high mud all over the 1st floor. His wife said that they were so scared. The waters were so high, it looked like a tsunami. Before the super typhoon hit their town, they were told that there would be a storm surge, but it wasn't really explained what it was. If they were told that it was going to be like a tsunami, they would have fled to higher ground early on.

He had a 2-storey house. His wife and son stayed on the 2nd floor to avoid the rising raging waters. His house was one of the few in their area to have a 2nd floor. A lot of his neighbors drowned. Those who survived were those who were able to get to his house in time. Three of his relatives did not make it. It was really bad.  From the look of things, he estimates there must be over 10 thousand people who lost thier lives.

couldnt they have taken the bus to manila? like i know others have done

greenetravel wrote:

couldnt they have taken the bus to manila? like i know others have done

What bus to Manila? Manila is in Luzon. Tacloban is in the Visayas. It's in a separate island.

havent u ever heard of roro?

I'm just telling a story that my client told me. He wanted to get his family out of there asap.

Anyways, how can you get on a bus or a boat if you don't have money to pay for the fare? I don't know if his family still had money in their pockets. It could be that everything was carried away by or lost in the waters.

The mom of one of my employers is stuck in Leyte along with her 3 grandkids. They want to leave for Manila but they don't have any money to pay the bus. Her son cannot send her money because remittance centers are either off line or there's no power. I don't know as of the moment if they were able to actually get on a roro.

What is a roro?

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Roro

greenetravel wrote:

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Roro

Oh! I see, one of them things.

Hi to all,i urge all people reading this post to donate,time,money ,medicine or what ever you feel in your heart.Im in nyc and I wish I can help in some other ways with a Philippino organization,im not Philippino but have few friends there ,only 2 are missing and I have no contact with them,i search but their names don't show up,i just pray they are alright.Im hoping to visit Bohol and leyte sometime next year,but I pray and hope that all the places affected will come out stronger and rebuilt with better housing for future natural disasters.I felt as it was my own country,because I lovePhilippines so much,hoping that soon ill be living there.May the God above bless all who donated anything.Mabuhay and Wepa!!!Salamat!

Hi all I am a filipino my place was in bantayan island cebu philippines were in the second landfall was flash over, many people was homeless including my self and my family. There are 19 casualties despite of tragedy we are very thankfull for the help of some organizations coming from different countries, eventhough some of help was driven by politics specially in my town who are in charge of distribution, we are still thankfull for the blessings this is the good start for each of us. The most affected area in visayas was in tacloban city I hope we, the family who are affected by typhoon will stand strong, and will help hand in hand. To those who help thank you for your kind heart may your family be bless always and a good health to you!