Job hunting question

Hi Guys

I`d like to know what advices & tips you guys can give me in regards to finding a job in Saudi Arabia or any of the Gulf countries for a U.S born citizen. I am actively trying to get a job there to pretty much get my feet wet and gain additional experiences. Why the Middle East? Because I enjoy the culture. I have taught computer classes for children as well as worked over the summer as a seasonal I.T Assistant at a private school. In addition I have been working for my family`s company as a office manager. I am a fluent Spanish speaker & I have been studying Arabic & Urdu intensively with hopes of making my transition easy once I prepare myself for my possible relocation. I am currently majoring in International Studies with hopes of one day working for the U.S Embassy or any diplomatic related jobs. As a backup plan I am trying to see what a degree in International Studies can get me in the Kingdom. I have been told that working for a bank or even as a English Teacher would prove useful which I of course wouldn`t mind. I am open to all options as my main goal is to work abroad and have a change in life.

My experience includes office duties such as working with Microsoft Word, Excel, Working with operating systems, Computer Maintenace, Basic Skills of Programming,I.T networking & computer/software installation. I don`t have a degree in I.T since most was self taught through various hours of self paced videos.

In addition I`m interested to know if my wife would have a good chance in teaching English there. She has a masters of English Literature from Pakistan and has been able to transfer her credits here in USA.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi djstorm1987,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to post an ad in the Jobs in Saudi Arabia section,it may certainly give you a little boost in your search.

I am sure that the other members will also share their good advices with you soon. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

As I see it, you have 3 options:

IT job, assuming you have proper experience you can show on your résumé
US Consulate/Embassy, in translation or public relations
ESL instructor but you would need to get relevant qualifications

Your wife can also work as an ESL instructor, but again, would need a relevant TEFL qualification, such as CELTA.