Divorce and Residency Status?

My residency status is based on my marriage to a Spaniard and we may end that relationship.  Residency card and NIE are good for several more years.  Does anyone know if i get to keep my status at least until the card expires or is it at risk of being cancelled?

If you are European (EU) you can have residency in your own right.  If not go to your countries embassy, or you may be able to email them for help,

thanks for that!  i got so frustrated trying to find an email address for the US embassy rather than a phone number and i finally thought i would start asking here in the meantime.  i guess i will work up the nerve to listen to the telebot for a while.

I found it quite easlily.by looking for US embassy Madrid.  Here are contact details:-

Contact Us
Main Telephone Directory
Embassy Switchboard

Phone: 91-587-2200
   Fax:      91-587-2303

Consular Services

Visas

•91-123-8866 from inside Spain at no additional cost or

•703-439-2364 from the United States at no additional cost

The Service is available to the public from 07:00 to 19:00., Spanish time, Monday-Friday.

Please note that the call center will be closed on all local and U.S. holidays.

American Citizen Services

I am also divorced and originally obtained my residence as the spouse of a Spaniard.  My residence has not been cancelled.  I even went to the Police to submit my address change and there was no problem.  I can't remember if I had to show divorce papers, but as I recall, I only had to bring my new empradronament showing my new address.  I was already here some years and have permanent residency, however the actual card expires after 10 years.  It is my understanding that I will have no trouble obtaining a renewal and new card.