Better to move or not? Kids involved...

I have lived in Perth and Sydney all my life and have a husband adn four children aged 13 to 19.   Three are in highschool.   We are very happy where we are - great suburb near the water and close to the freeway and the city - great schools and friends - BUT - my husband has been offered partnership with a big firm in Wellington.   I dont know much about the details yet - but will have to consider if its possible to commute - to telecommute - should we sell up and move - or downgrade to cheaper home here and buy in NZ.  What areas are good to live in and so forth....  Costs of uni, etc etc etc!  Could someone help please!   If its a backwards step then I wont pursue but if its equal or better to what we have then I want to explore.  In the back of my mind Im thinking why would so many kiwis come here if it was better in NZ...

Hi

You will definitely be taking a big step backwards as far as the weather is concerned. If you are used to long hot summers and mild winters, then get ready for short mild summers and cold long winters.

With that said, I have only been in Wellington for two years now and love it. My kids 13 and 14 respectively, are doing very well at school and also love Wellington. The question regarding housing is, do you prefer city life or not. If not, you may have to commute to work, but the traffic in and out of Wellington is not as bad as in Auckland. The public transport is also very good. Many people make use of trains and busses into and out of, and around Wellington.

I think before you sell up in Perth, you need to come and have a Holiday in Wellington.

Concerning University, why don't you contact Otago for advice: http://www.otago.ac.nz/

Cheers

I too would say do not make a definite move before trying it out first.

For me, I love the weather and the slower pace of life, but find many other aspects very difficult.  I was fairly happy with my life in Scotland, but thought the grass might be greener on the other side.  For me it hasn't been so far, but I am not giving up just yet.

You say you are very happy where you are - so why move?  I would do the commute bit before fully committing. You have the well being of your whole family to think about - not just a partnership opportunity.  As a foster mum to over 20 teenagers back in Scotland, I know how hard it can be to help them re-adjust to new friends and a new community.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

I'd commute for a year and then think about it again but I'm not sure where you are right now. Sydney is eminently do-able but Perth?!

Kiwi working practices will be very different to what he's used to and they don't take kindly to outsiders coming in and telling them how to do things.

After a year he may well be glad to see the back of the place, the 500,000 Kiwis living in Australia are!