Health, EHIC and misinformation?

We have received our entitlement certificates, using our S1s issued from UK. Next year we will have to re-apply from UK for new S1s and resubmit.
In the accompanying letter to our certificates there are 2 things stated which are fundamentally wrong, at least from my research.

1. That our certificates are valid for 3 years.

We know that they are not and are dated to indicate that.

2. That according to EU Regs, holders of Certificate of Entitlement are to apply for EHIC from the State issuing their pension or of the pensioner on whom they are dependent.

According to EU site AND the Dept of Entitlement's own website it is they, the Entitlement Unit's responsibility to issue EHICs to us.

Can anyone clarify #2 please?

Thank you

are you spouting EU regulations Red!!!!!!! thats brave!

I know how it may appear but I want to know simply so that I can force the hand of the UK, if I have to. I just need clarification, that's all. A friend of mine was refused an EHIC from the UK.

i was also refused there and here.

I can only report personal experience: we are Permanent Residents in Malta, but my husband (italian) gets his pension from Italy. When in Malta, we are entitled to treatment in hospital just like the Maltese. For insurance abroad in the EU, it is the italian health authority (ASL) that issues the EHIC. In Italy, though, they don't issue the EHIC to non-residents and every six months, we must request a certificate that will cover us in all EC countries ex. Malta. I believe that it is, indeed, the country paying the pension that is responsible for producing the EHIC.

But neither my friend nor I draw State Pensions.
Only Occupational Pensions. (Ministry of Defence and Local Government)
I mean it's no big deal as we would have travel Health Insurance but just interested to know.

This is the from the gov website ..

The NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. Therefore, once you have moved permanently away from the UK you are no longer entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules.

However, if you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for form S1 (or an E121 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland), which you need to present to the health authorities in your new country of residence. You will then be treated on the same basis as a resident of that country.
To apply for your S1 or E121 contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or The Pension Service.

You cannot apply online for your UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you live abroad. You must apply by post using form EHICE, which should be sent to you automatically with your S1 or E121. If you haven't received an EHICE application, please contact the relevant organization.

•If you have moved abroad and are, a UK state pensioner or in receipt of a UK benefit, contact The Pension Service on  00 44 191 218 7777
•If you have not received the EHICE application form, contact Overseas Health Care Team on 00 44 191 218 1999
Read more information about moving abroad.

It would seem clear to me that the if you are not of retirement age then Malta will be responsible for issuing the EHIC until you get your state pension from the UK.

Terry

It's the word 'permanently' that would need clarification, as it is in my experience, that the UK use different rules/words/meanings to what the Maltese do..Eg. The High Court in London, stated that my children that were born here are of duel nationality, which they are not and that Malta is their permantent place of residency, which technically they are not, as I have not applied for them.
I think you would need to see what 'permanent' meant to the UK.

"It would seem clear to me that the if you are not of retirement age then Malta will be responsible for issuing the EHIC until you get your state pension from the UK."

Not if you are the holder of the RHA card.

Now, I think others are understanding our confusion. Also the terms 'residency' and 'permanent' take on different interpretations depending upon what contexts they are used in and of course by the person who is doing the interpretation and what their real agenda is.

Yes Mick, you can see it now, Malta will want to see your permenant residency certificate and the UK will say that you live in Malta, so that is your permenant place of residency...Been there, been caught up in it!

My understanding is that if you are a resident of Malta (EID card holder) then Malta is responsible until you become a UK pensioner.
This from the Malta Gov.

Who is eligible for the Service?

Persons who are ordinarily residing in Malta and are:

Covered by the national Social Security legislation.
Holders of a Certificate of Entitlement (issued through the presentation of E121 forms).

I'm looking at mine as I type and it was issued last year from the UK DWP.  Before that it was issued from Malta and I'm pretty sure that the legislation was changed about 4 years ago.

Terry

Well, we have a Certificate of Entitlement issued by S1 and not by E121. Maybe I'm just being a bit thick here :/

If you are resident in the UK then the UK will issue a EHIC.
If you are resident in Malta (hold an EID) and either working or self sufficient then Malta will issue the EHIC.
If you are retired with a UK retirement pension (ie of retirement age)and resident in Malta with an EID then the UK will issue the EHIC.

That's how it has worked for us and we have had no problems.

tearnet wrote:

If you are resident in the UK then the UK will issue a EHIC.
If you are resident in Malta (hold an EID) and either working or self sufficient then Malta will issue the EHIC.
If you are retired with a UK retirement pension (ie of retirement age)and resident in Malta with an EID then the UK will issue the EHIC. That's how it has worked for us and we have had no problems.

:thanks::one

Thanks, I know I can be pretty thick with all this sometimes but I couldn't see where 'self sufficiency' was specifically mentioned.
I'll drop it now.

If you are a legal resident in malta - a RHA holder - not in receipt of state pension - not working - self sufficient - thus not paying into the Malta state SSC system. you cannot get a EHIC issued by Malta. Nor can that catagory of person get one from the UK

toonarmy9752 wrote:

If you are a legal resident in malta - a RHA holder - not in receipt of state pension - not working - self sufficient - thus not paying into the Malta state SSC system. you cannot get a EHIC issued by Malta. Nor can that catagory of person get one from the UK

:sick

toonarmy9752 wrote:

This from the Malta entitlement web site....

Am I entitled to the EHIC?
You are eligible to obtain the EHIC if you are an ordinarily resident in Malta and you are:
• a national   of Malta. 
• a national of any other EEA country and paying NI contributions or receiving a state pension from Malta. 
• a stateless person or refugee. 
• a widow or widower, receiving a Malta state pensions or widow's benefit, whose late spouse was a national
  of an EEA country and living in Malta at the time of his or her death. 
a holder of a Certificate of Entitlement 
• a holder of a Freedom of Movement Certificate issued from Malta. 
If you are currently working in Malta, but pay social security contributions in another EEA country, that country will
issue you the EHIC.
Note: If you are not an EEA citizen, stateless person or refugee,

It clearly says that if you have a certificate of entitlement (S1?) then you are eligible.

If you have an S1 then yes, if only an RHA then no, to EHIC

I'm confused over what all this is, can someone explain what it is please?

what what is ?

I had a tempory entitlement issued 4 years ago from a place in St. Johns Street. It was tempory as in those days, residency was taking years with the back log.
I had been informed by them, that once resident, I no longer needed one but now I am confused as to what these forms are S1 and EHIC etc are???

S1 - transferring healthcare rights from one EU country to another

EHIC - for use by EU tourists when travelling to another EU/EEA country - used to be called E111

coxf0001 wrote:

I had a tempory entitlement issued 4 years ago from a place in St. Johns Street.

I presume that was a temporary RHA. That would have had a 1 or 2 year validity probably

coxf0001 wrote:

I had been informed by them, that once resident, I no longer needed one

that may or may not be true - if you transferred your rights using S1, or are paying social security contribs in Malta, then its true. Otherwise is probably isn't.

georgeingozo wrote:

If you have an S1 then yes, if only an RHA then no, to EHIC

The S1 is used to gain a Certificate of Entitlement.
And it has to be renewed each year, at least that's what I've been told.

It was valid for a yesr George. It says on the form, nothing about transfering rights, just says that I would be issued with a permenant certificate once the residency document was presented.
I have never been asked for it, I got it as I was pregnant, I didn't renew it after she was born.
I never had an SI form?? Must have changed, again, does it apply now for me anyway being a permenant resident?

Are you receiving a state pension ?
are you or your partner paying social security contributions in Malta ?

If no to both questions, I suspect (unless you have private health insurance) you have no health cover, and should apply for an RHA ASAP

georgeingozo wrote:

Are you receiving a state pension ?
are you paying social security contributions in Malta ?

Nope,

I/we, have slipped through the system because of Malta's inability to understand what was expected by them. At times, as they have had no idea of what to do, they have just sent me away, it's only resently thia is coming to light.

The system changed for UK passport holders 2 years ago - then you just showed your UK passport to get basic health cover, now you need to get the RHA card.

georgeingozo wrote:

The system changed for UK passport holders 2 years ago - then you just showed your UK passport to get basic health cover, now you need to get the RHA card.

I've never been asked for anything other than ID card, nor my children.
So you are saying, I need to get a what from where and how??!!!

ps you are not a permanent resident (unless you have applied for it after 5 years), but a resident :-)

RHA
https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

georgeingozo wrote:

ps you are not a permanent resident (unless you have applied for it after 5 years), but a resident :-)

Yes, a permanent resident for being here over 5 years.

coxf0001 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

I need to get that sorted as well :-)

edit - I thought earlier you said you only applied for residency 4 years ago ?

georgeingozo wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

I need to get that sorted as well :-)

edit - I thought earlier you said you only applied for residency 4 years ago ?

No, that was the the Health entitlement. Back then, I was told that the agrement between Malta and UK had stopped and this is what was needed to be done, so I did but then never used it or was asked for it, so I've never renewed it.

I only applied for permenant residency 18 months ago! I had been turned away years ago saying, 1.) it will take years to sort, as they still have applications from 3-4 years before to sort and 2.) that we were in the EU and didn't neeed to apply (Ex patrietes division told me this.)
which is why I say we slipped through the system. Not my doing, I was just doing as I was told.

I would apply for the RHA now - you might be asked for it

Hi Caroline,

I'm still not sure if we are all talking about the same residency.

You can only apply for 'permanent' residency after being a resident ( with resident certificate) for more than 5 year.

So if you applied for 'permanent residency' 18 months ago you would have applied for residency and received residence certificates 5 years and 18 months ago !

And your child would have no problem with school fees as being a resident and you would just have to re-apply for the new e-residence . No problem !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Caroline,

I'm still not sure if we are all talking about the same residency.

You can only apply for 'permanent' residency after being a resident ( with resident certificate) for more than 5 year.

So if you applied for 'permanent residency' 18 months ago you would have applied for residency and received residence certificates 5 years and 18 months ago !

And your child would have no problem with school fees as being a resident and you would just have to re-apply for the new e-residence . No problem !

Cheers
Ricky

I applied on the permenant residency form and had to prove 5 years worth of residential history, that I had not left the country for more than 10 months in that 5 years.
My residence document says, Permanent Registration Certificate?
I am presuming that means I am a permanent resident. I didn't apply for my children at the time, as you know, I didn't have their passports.
She, the receptionist, told me to do it asap before they change the card to Biometric and that it was up to me if I wanted to register the children!
I have never held a residency certificate before 18 months ago?!

Yep you are a permanent resident :-)
thats a new one to me - didn't realise you could get a permanent one without having held an ordinary one for 5 years