Places to visit in Shenzhen

Hi,

For the ones living in Shenzhen, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Shenzhen, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Shenzhen?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

Here's my suggestion, hope can help out:-

1) Cultural village, nanshan
2) OCT bay, nanshan
3) Window of the world
4) HuaqiangBei - Electronic stuff for the geeks
5) Cocopark, bar street

I guess Shenzhen more like a metropolitan/city nothing much to do unless shopping. You can bring them for a day trip or 2 to Guangzhou, just an hour train ride from Luohu.

Hello keaney.

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards.

Karen :)

Hi Julie, here are some more suggestions:

Nanshan district:
- Expo garden in OCT (园博园) near Qiaocheng East station (侨城东站), no entry fees
- Lotus Hill Park (莲花山公园) near Civic Center station (市民中心站), offers a nice view of Shenzhen once you've climbed the small hill, you can watch people perform music and grandparents and parents plastering trees with announcements looking for a match for their grandkids and kids near one of the exits
- Mangrove Forrest (红树林), it's right at the sea in Shenzhen where you can take a nice walk or rent a bike and can see Hongkong in the distance
- Happy Valley (欢乐谷), an amusement park which isn't too far from Window of the World and is fun for families with kids
- Creative Culture Park (创意文化园) in OCT in Nanshan district, it feels like you're in the jungle and there are a few nice cafés, restaurants, a book shop, a few small shops which have interesting design stuff and every first weekend of the month they have a creative market where people sell self-made handicrafts and self-designed stuff like postcards, posters, bags, iPhone covers and much more

Longgang district:
- Dafen Oil Painting Village (大芬油画村) near Dafen station (大芬地铁站): has some small shops that reproduce famous paintings and an old-style building that is really nice when you're inside (I think the entry was 20 CNY and it's not really old, it just looks old), you can drink tea or coffee there if you want to relax for a bit, there's also a small museum opposite of the main entrance (if I remember correctly).

Hope this helps.

Dongmen old street worth visiting

My 2 cents

Sea World at Sea World Metro station... it's where most of the ex-pats hang out... lots of Mexican Restos, Pubs and what have not.