Want to visit cuenca ,maybe move.

I am a old guy let say born in 1940:P

Hey, I heard, on good faith, that even old guys move to Ecuador. What's more, they even enjoy themselves. No reason you shouldn't join them.

My trouble is I dont know or like emale. Were do you live now?

If you want to know more about the person who posted a message, you can click on their name on the left just under the the green or orange line that marks the beginning of the message.

It is not necessary for you to have an e-mail address. When you post a question, you will probably get a reply, just like the message I sent.  You can also send private messages to someone If they agree to message with you. However, let's save that untill you get comfortable posting messages and reading the replies.

Try to make your questions so people will understand what you want to know. For example, your first message just told me you were born in 1940. I wasn't sure if you were asking a question or just trying to introduce yourself, So, I responded as I did. It is helpful to know that a series of questions and answers (these are called postings) should be focused on a particular topic, which is stated by the title of the first post. A collection of postings is called a thread. It is proper protocol for everyone posting in a thread to stay "on topic." That is, to make sure their posts are about the topic of the thread.

I hope this will get you started so you can begin learning about moving to Ecuador.

Welcome, Grant. Others of us are of about the same age. I plan to be in Ecuador by early next year.

If you don't know much about it, you should probably plan on a visit or two before deciding on a move (hope I'm not saying something that is too obvious).

What makes you think you might like living in Ecuador, and why Cuenca specifically?

Bob

I wish I could wright as good as you do.I thank you for your help.I have lived in lasvegas for 30 years. I have been to guadalajara mexico over 50 times. It is a little dangerous now.

Well, it probably helps to know that Ecuador is reasonably safe. There is varying opinion on the blog regarding the matter of security, but I personally have never had a run-in with crime here. As it is in any country, your safety will depend on where you are, when you are there, and what you are doing. Likewise, a little common sense helps everyone avoid a bad experience.

If  you speak Spanish, that would go a long way in making the move here simpler. As far as writing skills, you seem to express yourself well enough, so no problems there. Your first hurdle in getting here is qualifying for a permanent visa. For a Pensioner's visa, you will need a retirement sum of $800 an month (Social Security would be the most common source) for one person, and $100 more per month for each additional person.

Thanks joseph.  You know what you are talking about. I have been to guadalajara mexico over 50 times,with no problems. thanks

Hola. What would be a good hotel in the old part of town? I like to walk , watch people, Have a good lunch, talk with friends.

Grant,
As you probably realize, I replied to the e mail you sent me regarding the hotel. I hope you get some other recommendations, but the one I sent you is a pretty good bet.
There is a huge population of ex pats in our age group Grant. You won't lack for comrades to interact with.
Also, I think you'll find the folks that make this leap have a tendency to be more adventurous, and more youthful in their attitudes. What I like to think anyway! < Grin >
Good Luck on the journey.
Neil

I would like to see Cuenca and am looking for a cheap hotel or Hostel to stay in. Any suggestions please.

I'm considering moving Cuenca.  Been to Quito a few times, but want a little nicer weather.  I'd like to spend a month or so in Cuenca.  Prefer renting a house or apartment, maybe from another expat.

I have the same plane as you. My first visit to cuenca will be in oct. Have fun.

I also expect to go in October.  Have you found an apartment or house to rent?  Perhaps we can share a place?  From what I've read, I think I'd prefer being in, or near, the city center.  Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a place to stay?

It's practical to stay in a hostal to save money. If you want a recommendation based upon my personal experience, send me a private message.
I have been in a hostal since July 24 and will probably move to an apartment next week.
Everyone here has been good to me and I am very comfortable with my accommodations.
Anything you want to know, I can answer from my personal experience.
Neil is a very good source as well since he's been through the process.

Adios,

Carl

Carl,
give me a call. I don't know where you are at.

How long have you been in country?
I have a lot of stuff going on with the new condo, and trying to get everything attended to, but get ahold of me, and we'll hook up!
Are you loving it here?
Stay Well,
Neil

I stayed at Hostel el Monisterio a block from the Cathedral in Parque Calderon for $18 a night when I was moving here.  I think I found it on airbnb.com or booking.com

Hola Neil,

I called you on the 25th from Guayaquil and again on the 26th from Cuenca. I got the impression you were very busy.
My paperwork was approved by the Ministerio and submitted. Just waiting for that email appointment for my visa.
Got my senior discounted bus pass. Spent a whole 12 cents for a round trip the other day over an hour and a half.
Went to Gualaceo on invitation from a local business lady I met at Parque de Madre. Nice.
Yes Neil, everyday is an adventure and I am loving it, especially the $1.10 Club 550ml beer.
Will probably move into an apartment next week after I inspect the remodel to insure everything is in order.
Right now I am staying off of Calle Larga y Hermano Miguel.
Will call you this week to see how things are going.

Adios,

Carl

Carl,
Sorry I missed yours calls. I guess I'm not as  " smart " as my phone. I also must admit, with out family here, I have a tendency to forget my phone a lot when I'm out and about, as I don't get that many calls.
This week is crazy busy too. I have to stick around the condo as I have the internet and furniture, and it seems a million other things going on. But, you're more than welcome to swing by.
Til we meet,
Adios,
Neil