What's most important to consider b4 moving to Cape Town

Can anyone share what they view as the most important topics to consider before moving to Cape Town with a family (kids age 9,7,3)?

We have been expats in the Middle East and North Africa but never South Africa. Very interested in stories regarding items such as lack of power, crime, medical care, etc

Thanks

Hi,

I've been living in Cape Town, with my family, for the last 14 years. To answer your questions:
- The electricity problem was a once of thing a number of years ago, I personally don't know anybody that found it necessary to buy a generator.
- I don't believe that crime is as out of control as it is made out to be. If you park your car in the street with valuables visible inside, it will be broken into. If you hang around in the wrong neighborhoods, you will get into trouble. The majority of the serious crime takes place in the shanty towns and bad areas. We personally do not have burglar bars or a drive way gate and have never experienced problems.
- State owned medical facilities are pathetic rather die at home! Good private medical care is everywhere and fairly affordable, you can get good insurance for as little as R1500/month (US$200) it gets cheaper per person the bigger the family
- The educational system has also gone from bad to worse, so try and stay with private schools, tertiary education is still very good.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Cape Town is fantastic for family life and to raise kids.  We have a 3yr old and have considered moving abroad - one of the factors preventing us from doing so is the lifestyle here. 

With crime one has to be constantly aware - we don't drive with our doors unlocked and I never drive with my window down especially when stopping at traffic lights/stop streets. 
It's essential in most areas to have a burglar alarm with armed response. Many insurance companies insist on burglar bars/alarms/security gates before insuring.  Crime is everywhere, in varying degrees - we have become accustomed to living with it and being vigilant. 

Private medical care despite being fairly costly is very good and you are able to form good relationships with the doctors you choose to use.  We pay R5500 for a top medical plan (2 adults and 1 child).  You wouldn't wish your worst enemy a stay in state hospitals.   It's a disgrace.

Private schooling is 1st prize although having said that, there are many good government schools - especially depending on which area you choose to live in. 

Load shedding is rare right now.  The cost of electricity has just been increased by 25% and more increases are forecast for the future.  Solar power is becoming very popular.

Overall Capetonians have excellent lifestyles - the Cape has  much to offer and we are certainly spoilt for choice in SA when it comes to food/wine!

Good luck!

Firstly consider the kind of people your kids will grow up with. Im from Europe and the mentality and culture of people here in SA is very different. Not bad, but far from the Eu culture and norms.

Secondly, crime is something to think about. There are good areas, but I feel it is still not as safe to walk outside in the middle of the night as it is in europe. (even during the day)

I hope that helps
Cheers
Diggy