Working as a tourist in the US

I'm soon to visit friends in the USA. Commitments in the UK mean I need to be back here in January, but I hope to afford to tour the USA up until that time by doing occasional work while I'm there, probably in a service industry - as a bartender or waiter.

Is there any way this would be possible without a work visa? The application process for a visa looks as if it would drag on till December which would leave me little time for any tour and mean I wouldn't need a work visa...

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether it is realistic to expect to be able to work without strict authorisation during what is in all other respects a 2 or 3 month vacation?

While this isn't strictly an expat topic, I've been unable to find a clear answer to this question anywhere else and I hope one of these experts here will be able to guide me.

Anyone who can guide me about this has my sincere appreciation.

No working visa, no work.
But you may find an accomodating bar/restaurant/recreation park owner to hire you occasionally... and at your own risks.:whistle:

If you are a student there are special visas/arrangements. Many resorts - especially in the northern part of the USA - in the southern part there are thousands and thousands of Latinos willing to take any job - are understaffed and hire students from foreign countries as maids etc.

OK, the bottom line?  It's illegal.  Health care is ridiculously expensive, and in today's climate, if you get caught, kiss goodby your chance of ever entering the country again.

Just sayin' it may not be such a good idea to go illegal.