South African Comedian spreading wings

Hi All

I am a South African professional comedian. Most people don't know my real name as for the past 12 years I have become known by the Indian Character I portray on stage: MICHAEL NAICKER. These days I am re-creating my act and performing on stage under my own name and performing more internationally understood comedy. I am looking to expand my horizons and come and do some shows in the USA. Naturally it would be more advantageous to me to BEGIN my foray into the USA by performing for South African expats - still have to put backsides in seats to pay the bills - haha. Anybody with knowledge of venues, South African ex-pat support groups or any other information that will help me make this tour a reality, PLEASE contact me.

Thanks

Kevin Perkins

Welcome to Expat.com Kevin Perkins!

Any specific place?

Wish you Good Luck,
Harmonie.;)

I have no idea where the best place to start would be but two cities I have been researching thus far are Atlanta and Los Angeles

I def know that there are alot of expats from SA living in Florida and alot that go there to work during the busy season, Oct until May. So that would be your best bet. If you want you should try and link up with Improv theaters and do shows through them, WEst Palm beach, Boca and Fort Lauderdale are great spots filled with South Africans.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. Setting up overseas shows from South Africa is quite a challenge. Once you find a suitable area within the country you plan on visiting, you have to start with the real leg-work:
venue; marketing, ticketing; work permits / VISA's; not to mention flights and accommodation...
And at the end of the day...if you're someone like me, you still have to make ends meet and look after your family...

MAN, I should have started this career when I was young, single and childless :P

Anyway, I've been on a roll so far and have had great success with setting up the UK stuff so let's see what magic can happen!

You are most welcome, I actually saw your show in PE a while back and I thought that you were Indian until I looked up. Being Indian South African myself I could def related to the jokes and I thought that you were hilarious.

I def think that if you get a chance you should try and speak to Trevor Noah because I know that he did a tour here last year and I know that alot of South Africans traveled to see him.

Best of luck with the move and start up in the States, It's hard work but def worth it to broaden your audience.

:)