Tips for getting your first job in the USA

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in the USA?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in the USA?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

vdcabiles2015 wrote:

I did everything to get a job offer - online and offline searches.  But the first thing is a well-written resume that highlights your strengths, and what you can do for the company.  Your resume should be tailored to each position you're applying for.

Victor

I agree that resume is something that highlights you.

Well, what type of work are you seeking?

I want to highlight the importance of a good resume as well. It's imperative to get some expert local advice on this if you are coming from another country. My resume was always complimented in Australia but I found out the hard way that here it was considered far too long and needed careful editing. If I had done this earlier, I may have been more successful. Go to someone who knows, to help you.

Hi, how can I get help with improving the way  my resume is presented ?

I am a total failure in that

Hi,
If you don't know anyone in HR, then look for someone who can assist  such as an external consultant. There are people who will do this job for a fee, that work as HR consultants for hire. You will have to research this probably online in the area where you live to see if someone is available. You can probably work with someone who is too far away to meet as well-by working over phone and email. Check what their service entails, fees and any previous customers for testimonials. Also check their background so you know they have good HR experience such as hiring people, so they should know what a good resume includes.
Good Luck!

MJSchreiber wrote:
vdcabiles2015 wrote:

I did everything to get a job offer - online and offline searches.  But the first thing is a well-written resume that highlights your strengths, and what you can do for the company.  Your resume should be tailored to each position you're applying for.

Victor

I agree that resume is something that highlights you.

It's essential to have a good resume in the US. Some jobs get stacks of them so those decisions are made very quickly. It's got to stand out.

There are many ways to pursue a good, satisfying job. Simply updating your resume and applying for a job is not going to yield the best results. Trying some other strategies as part of your job hunt can be beneficial.  It's become so competitive, that people are becoming more resourceful, creative and aggressive when it comes to finding their next perfect job. This means you need to step up your game too.  Try online job search engines or recruiting agencies like indeed.com, careerbuilder. com, hcrnetwork. com, doctorschoiceplacement.com, etc. that allow you to search large databases of job openings in any specialty and location that you desire.
Finding the best job match for you in today's world requires staying nimble and vigilant and trying a combination of different methods. Don't give up, remember that there are plenty of job searching methods each with their own pros and cons, so don't hesitate to experiment with a variety of job finding techniques.