Exceptional skills visa - applying and visa stamp

Hi ..I am currently in Cape Town where I submitted am exceptional skills visa application last week.
I am aware I can remain in SA until a visa is either issued or refused.  I need to return to UK for a while to work however very soon. If the visa is passed by Home Affairs in SA ... can I have this issued to me in the UK/ London or do I have to return to Cape Town for it to be issued?

Also is there a timeframe re: picking up the visa once issued ?
If I have to return to Cape Town for the visa what is the procedure on entry ? The usual 3 month tourist visa ?
I am a UK passport holder .

Many thanks..

Jo

Hi Jo

This is a big problem for some people waiting for their permits, especially because they often wait for long periods of time. I know you don't want to hear this, but it would probably have been better to submit for your permit in the UK.

First off, you are supposed to keep your receipt, and sometimes a paper called a Form 20 (apparently not issued any longer, but sometimes they are) that you got when you applied for your permit. With this/these papers, you can enter and exit the country. However, many foreign airports don't know this and don't see a permit in your passport and don't let you board.

Hopefully, because you are a UK citizen, you'll board, and then when you arrive in SA, you will receive your 30-day visa.

You can only pick up your permit where you applied for it, so you cannot receive it in the UK.

Good luck!

Many thanks ..not the best news no but good to know where I stand re: making some other decisions right now.  I have the receipt and also a home affairs stamped copy of the original documents submitted .
Additionally I have the email  of someone who seemed to be a top officer at Home Affairs who was kind enough to give it to me when I asked best way to track application progress when I submitted to her .

One last question.. Is there a timeline Home Affairs in Cape Town will hold the visa until I return to have it stamped into my passport ? Or can I be away 3-6 + months as I need ?

Kind regards

Jo

Hi Jo

They don't usually hold if for longer than 9 months. I'd be wary of letting it wait longer than 6 months.

Many thanks ...was told at Home Affairs I could send my passport  to them via a friend and authorisation letter to get the visa stamped in ... I guess that should alleviate the problem...?

Also how long the visa decision will take :)

Meaning... who knows how long the visa decision will take :)

It can take anywhere from 1 to 9 months.

Yes .. So I heard .. Thank you for your time and reply

Jo