Cuenca and Carnaval

Hi Cuenca folk.  How's Cuenca during the long Carnaval weekend?  My parents are coming into Ecuador soon and I'm trying to find a location that isn't going to be completely booked, like a beach town or small city like Baños might be, and isn't too crazy with the Carnaval celebrations.  My wife would prefer to just hide in our apartment during that week, but we can't do that with my parents visiting.  For some reason, she doesn't seem to like having water, eggs, flour, and foam thrown at her.  My parents are pretty open minded, so some Carnaval celebrations aren't going to upset them.  I just want to avoid complete insanity like what goes on in Guaranda.           

From our experience last year, people in Quito start to have foam fights beginning the Thursday before Carnaval weekend.  The water/foam fights stay mostly between friends, but random attacks on the street started around Sunday and continued until Tuesday.  Is this how Cuenca is?  Is it a crazy place for Carnaval or pretty calm?  Thanks.

Hello,

Last year Carnaval in Cuenca was quiet but maybe this year will be different because now is much sunny and hot than 2012.
Now is most like throwing water and foam only.

Vinny

Carnaval is actually a pretty lousy time to be in Cuenca. The city is mostly deserted as it's a really big travel weekend. There are for sure the water balloon throwing knuckleheads out and about. Getting hit with one (as I did last year) is more annoying than dangerous.

Thanks for the responses.  Deserted is fine by me.  We came there last year on Easter weekend and it was a ghost town.  We had a great time and really enjoyed the city.  We'll keep our eye out for the water balloons.

Hi,

You could consider also Ambato, as in this city they celebrate carnival as Festival of Fruits and Flowers (Fiesta de las Flores y de las Frutas)with colorful parades, festivities, etc.
No water balloons are allowed,but it will be crowded as most of the locals do like it!

cheers.

Good to know Marazul.  I'll be passing though on our bus ride from Cuenca to Quito that day, so maybe I'll try to make some time for Ambato.  Thanks.