American legally live in Spain

Hello all. I am new here and just exploring how to make my move. First basic question I am hoping someone can answer:
As an American, if I live in Spain for the allowable 90 day period without a visa, and then leave as required, how long do I need to leave Spain (and Schengen countries) to come back into Spain legally? can I leave to any non-Schengen and return within a few days?
Where can I read  more about this?
Thanks guys!

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries only allow you to stay for a maximum of 3 months in a 6 month period, therefore you cannot stay for 180 days consecutively. The three month stay begins on the date of arrival and continues regardless of which Schengen Area country you may be in. So if you're in Spain, go to France, Germany or Holland you have a total of 3 months and nothing more.

This is the same way that the US treats Schengen Area tourists as well. If they slip out of the USA to visit Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc. the clock keeps on running too.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Q1 6 months
Q2 No.
A Schengen visa allows the holder to travel freely within the Schengen countries for a maximum stay of up to 90 days in a 6 month period.
However, if you need to stay longer than the normal tourist visa waiver period, you can apply to the Spanish Embassy with supporting.
Details of Schengen Visa: http://www.schengenvisa.cc/

It sounds like you're trying to skirt the system and not jump through all the hoops everyone else has to deal with.  If it were that easy, millions would be doing it every day.

apply for a student visa, you can study for a year and work up to 20 hours per week. It depends what your motivation is for coming to spain is though.  contact your nearest spanish embassy for info on the student visa.