Practicing Podiatric Medicine in DR

My new friend, Bill from San Cristobal, has been very helpful answering my questions but he suggested asking others about the possibility of practicing medicine, teaching or offering services on a regular basis.

Briefly about myself:
My name is Sean Shanahan.  I am a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine practicing in Sun City Center, Florida for the past 8 years.  I visited DR last year and always wondered if there was a need for foot/ankle surgeons, wound care and diabetic foot care.
I did attempt to contact a few docs down there, but no response.

Anyway, any help would be most appreciated. I am considering visiting hospitals in San Cristobal.

Thank you,

Sean Shanahan, DPM

Getting a medical lic here is next to impossible. YOU need to retake your boards (in Spanish) and then serve up to two years as an intern at basically no pay in a public clinic somewhere.
After 20 years in practice in the US, 9 years as a dept chairman in a major hospital and 16 of a teaching position in a major medical school in the US. I just gave up the idea.
Good luck to you

Bob K

WOW!  That is amazingly depressing. You would think that a country that allows medical missions would want more foreign (especially American) doctors in their system in order to help improve their health care system. At least you tried, eh? Thank you very much for your input.

You would think that would be the case. I am the medical director of a free clinic at Monkey Jungle here in Cabarete area but have to be very careful and limit my patient contact. So sad as I had so much to offer.

Bob K

Actually yes since the training in the US is so far superior to anything offered here.

And it is not the same as a getting a US lic.  Here not only do you have to take the boards over again but you have to serve a 2 year internship in a public facility for basically no pay.

Looked into this extensively whey I got here and decided not worth it.  So stayed retired and my feeling is it is the Dominican Republic's loss

Bob K