Rules for divorce and spouse wanting to move to another country

I desperately need help on an issue about divorce.

I was living in India with my Indian boyfriend for 6 months from April 2012 to September 2012. We got married 11th of May 2012 by the Foreign Marriage Act. I spent 35000 danish crones (around 315000 Rupees) investing in his restaurant and he promised he would earn it back when the season started.

But our relationship went all wrong and he got violent, so I had to leave him and travel back to Denmark.
He has completely fallen apart after me leaving him and wants to move to another country.
He says that he can't move to another country before he gets a divorce from me, so he won't give me my money back unless I travel to India and sign a petition for divorce.

I have no idea if this is just a trick to get me back to India...

Does anyone know if it is really true that he can't move to another country without getting a divorce from me?
And what are the rules of divorce in India? Is there any way I can file for divorce from Denmark, or do I have to go there? If I go there, how long do I have to stay, can I just go to court and sign something and then go home or do I have to stay all through the procedure? I read somewhere that it might take up to one year...

angeleyefaery wrote:

I desperately need help on an issue about divorce.

I was living in India with my Indian boyfriend for 6 months from April 2012 to September 2012. We got married 11th of May 2012 by the Foreign Marriage Act. I spent 35000 danish crones (around 315000 Rupees) investing in his restaurant and he promised he would earn it back when the season started.

But our relationship went all wrong and he got violent, so I had to leave him and travel back to Denmark.
He has completely fallen apart after me leaving him and wants to move to another country.
He says that he can't move to another country before he gets a divorce from me, so he won't give me my money back unless I travel to India and sign a petition for divorce.

I have no idea if this is just a trick to get me back to India...

Does anyone know if it is really true that he can't move to another country without getting a divorce from me?
And what are the rules of divorce in India? Is there any way I can file for divorce from Denmark, or do I have to go there? If I go there, how long do I have to stay, can I just go to court and sign something and then go home or do I have to stay all through the procedure? I read somewhere that it might take up to one year...

Heartbreaking to hear such a thing happening to women. I don't know about India's law but I feel that it might be a mere ploy to bring you back to India. If he really needs the paperwork done, he can send them to you or through a lawyer or embassy. Whatever it is, take caution.

Hi! Sorry to hear your mess. Good news u r free & bk to a safe place. No country restricts immigration of a married man without divorce. Even if there is something ask him to send u legal papers proving the need.
U can surely divorce him sitting out of Denmark. Without any legal view don't leave ur safe zone. Even if u have to make sure u contact ur embassy in india and take their help...
Pls. ensure ur safety in very first place.

Additional suggestion no direct calls pls.. Let the communication be on email. Will  make it tougher for him to emotionally blackmail u...

Hello angeleyefaery.

I'm sorry about your situation. :(

Maybe you could post your question on the Denmark forum as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie

he can travel any where he wants. divorce procedure is too long.
in worst case people get divorce in many years(u cant even imagine,more then 15), in best cases it will take a year or so.
what else should i say....

Thank you all for your replies.

It turns out he needs a sponsor (someone to write a covering letter) to get visa to move somewhere and that is why he can't be married to me. Apparently he has to have some woman write that she will provide for him if he moves. I had to do the same thing for him to be able to visit me in DK for just 2 months.

I have tried to search on the rules of divorce in India and it says that, if the married is done on Indian papers, only the Indian court can grant a divorce, so it looks like I have to be there for it to be possible.

My husband says that it will be quick, around 7 days, but on the internet it says it can talk up to a year, even though I don't know if I have to be there for the whole procedure...

If anyone knows any lawyers with knowledge on this please let me know...

All help greatly appreciated!

Hello angeleyefaery.

This page could help -> Lawyers in India. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie