Harleys in Ecuador?

Hey all, I'm a biker and could care less about a car, am wondering what type of motorcycles are available in Ecuador? Are they like the cars and way more expensive? How are the roads in Ecuador? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt......

Kurt,
I saw 1 H-D when I was in Cuenca last June. I saw a Road Glide for sale on one of the sites, and it was pretty outrageously priced. There are a lot of Royal Enfields, and alot of RE shops for sales and service. ( reasonably priced ) You can purchase Beemers. ( again, big $ ) For bigger road/touring bikes, Yamaha is the prefered scoot. Probably the most reasonably priced also. They have a ton of locally produced " scooters " in the 250 CC range. Very cheap to purchase. Don't know about reliability, but you see them at the malls for under 2 grand.
I've been riding for about 45 years, and there is no way I'd drive in the city. Totally insane. You see tons of bikes, splitting lanes, weaving in and out of traffic.... I don't know how they survive. Ton's of motor cops. Mostly Yamahas. They ride like the street scramblers. Very agile, which they have to be.

The roads in the cities are in pretty decent shape. Get out in the mountain roads and there are wash outs and rock slides to contend with. I can't see myself with out a scoot, but I know I won't be doing any in town travel on one, strictly out town riding for me. But, with that said, I hate driving in town now here stateside also. Too much texting and people not paying attention. Luckily, there is plenty of good riding roads left in Minnesota out side of the cities.
I do know that there are some touring groups you can hook up with.
Good Luck
Neil
PS. Dude, I just looked at your profile and saw we share the same birth day, although I'm sure my birth year is waaaaay sooner than yours!

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Kurt,
I saw 1 H-D when I was in Cuenca last June. I saw a Road Glide for sale on one of the sites, and it was pretty outrageously priced. There are a lot of Royal Enfields, and alot of RE shops for sales and service. ( reasonably priced ) You can purchase Beemers. ( again, big $ ) For bigger road/touring bikes, Yamaha is the prefered scoot. Probably the most reasonably priced also. They have a ton of locally produced " scooters " in the 250 CC range. Very cheap to purchase. Don't know about reliability, but you see them at the malls for under 2 grand.
I've been riding for about 45 years, and there is no way I'd drive in the city. Totally insane. You see tons of bikes, splitting lanes, weaving in and out of traffic.... I don't know how they survive. Ton's of motor cops. Mostly Yamahas. They ride like the street scramblers. Very agile, which they have to be.

The roads in the cities are in pretty decent shape. Get out in the mountain roads and there are wash outs and rock slides to contend with. I can't see myself with out a scoot, but I know I won't be doing any in town travel on one, strictly out town riding for me. But, with that said, I hate driving in town now here stateside also. Too much texting and people not paying attention. Luckily, there is plenty of good riding roads left in Minnesota out side of the cities.
I do know that there are some touring groups you can hook up with.
Good Luck
Neil
PS. Dude, I just looked at your profile and saw we share the same birth day, although I'm sure my birth year is waaaaay sooner than yours!

Wise-ass ZenSPIKE!!!! But your right as I'm 55 years old right now. I don't ride Harley's here, I ride a Victory Vison, but a lot of my buddies seem to prefer their Harley's until they ride mine!!! I would be willing to ride a street scrambler as I grew up in the "dirt", so-to-speak, as I grew up in Northern Illinois there wasn't much else to do except chase girls and get drunk!!! 45 years, when did you start riding? I can't be that much older/younger than you! You look pretty youthful in your pic. I don't care if I hook up with groups, as I don't care for riding in groups, and as far as insane, I have been described as that type of a rider as well, guess I just have a lot less patience than most, especially 4-wheelers. I think the people who drive cars are usually very moronic in their driving habits, yet they think they are real drivers, makes me wanna puke!!! Guess I'm kinda like Jeff Foxworthy in that, if someone cuts you off in traffic, you outta be able to get under em and push em up into the wall. Ha!!!!

Well,
I started riding when I was 12 years old. My first official bike was a '57 Indian Cheif and I was 15 years old. Course, it was illegal for me to ride anything over 50 CC's at the time, but what the heck are laws made for? ( that's right,to break em')
I still have my '74 850 Norton Commando that I bought in '74. ( actually, I just gave it to my son, but I still have privledges ) and I have a RoadStar 1700. Of course, the Victory is made here. Still not a ton of them on the road. A good buddy of mine rides a Vegas, nice scooter. I just found them to be too priorative. Like, even the tires are a pain to get, and on the road, I just don't trust the dealership network. (I do lots of long road trips) Although I must admit, they are pretty bullet proof.
Like you, I don't ride in groups, takes away my whole reason for riding, the freedom. Plus, I don't like riding in a chain reaction, domino crash.
And yes, you are a Pup, as I'm 62 years old. :(
Stay Well & Ride Safe
Neil
PS. Vision???? I'm gonna start calling you George ( Jettson )

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Well,
I started riding when I was 12 years old. My first official bike was a '57 Indian Cheif and I was 15 years old. Course, it was illegal for me to ride anything over 50 CC's at the time, but what the heck are laws made for? ( that's right,to break em')
I still have my '74 850 Norton Commando that I bought in '74. ( actually, I just gave it to my son, but I still have privledges ) and I have a RoadStar 1700. Of course, the Victory is made here. Still not a ton of them on the road. A good buddy of mine rides a Vegas, nice scooter. I just found them to be too priorative. Like, even the tires are a pain to get, and on the road, I just don't trust the dealership network. (I do lots of long road trips) Although I must admit, they are pretty bullet proof.
Like you, I don't ride in groups, takes away my whole reason for riding, the freedom. Plus, I don't like riding in a chain reaction, domino crash.
And yes, you are a Pup, as I'm 62 years old. :(
Stay Well & Ride Safe
Neil
PS. Vision???? I'm gonna start calling you George ( Jettson )

I'd give my left  @#)(&^% for a Snortin' Norton!!! I fell in love with those way back when you got yours, never had enough cash to get one, even if I could have found one!!! As far as Vics on the road, they are starting to get fairly plentiful, and yes, I adore my Vision. I gotta admit that Arlen Ness always had to put space-age stuff in his creations, and it definitely wasn't love at first sight! I couldn't find any bad reports on them and it has all the baggage space I needed, plus she's a dream to corner, unlike the "X" bikes they make! I tried to ride an "X" bike during one of the dealer demo's, but it just wasn't nearly as comfortable as my Vision. I too like to do long distance when I can afford to do it, which is why I put 7,000 miles on her back in August 2010 doing a bit of cross-country riding, plus, she eats Harley's for breakfast without any real effort. I started to ride others bikes when I was about 12 as well and when I turned 15, I got a 1973 Yamaha 100 enduro, and immediately started rippin' it up and haven't quit since. Buddies in their cars and me at 30 below on my enduro! Originally my dream was to become a great motocross rider such as the likes of Roger DeCoster, or Bob "Hurricane" Hannah. One time went to a pro race in Ohio and actually saw Roger race! He made it look so effortless, I knew I had a lot more to learn and understood exactly what the difference is in Pro and Amateur!!! All I really want to do is live in a mountainous area, yet not too far from the beach/marina where I could keep a sailboat with all my gear aboard her for fishing and diving. Cause if I'm not out riding, I would just like to garden and fish/spear the rest of my life without being interrupted. As far as breaking laws, I totally understand what you mean, I also happen to live the phrase, "ride it like you stole it."

Kurt....

I was in Ecuador for 2 months earlier this year. Lots of bikes but you will not see too many HD's. As a former Kaw man, I did take notice of the bikes on hand in Ecuador. They are typically of the 150 to 250 cc type, Chinese made I believe.

If you take your bike there be prepared to do your own maintenance. There is a bike shop in Quito, rentals, by the way. But I was too chicken to rent...I saw the way the locals drive...

Roads are excellent, gas is $1.40 a US gallon.

Good luck

pensionado wrote:

I was in Ecuador for 2 months earlier this year. Lots of bikes but you will not see too many HD's. As a former Kaw man, I did take notice of the bikes on hand in Ecuador. They are typically of the 150 to 250 cc type, Chinese made I believe.

If you take your bike there be prepared to do your own maintenance. There is a bike shop in Quito, rentals, by the way. But I was too chicken to rent...I saw the way the locals drive...

Roads are excellent, gas is $1.40 a US gallon.

Good luck

1.40 a gallon, holy schnikees!!!! I'm glad you stated the condition of the roads are good. I guess I could get used to a small bike.

Kurt......

Don't recommend the $1.49 gas for a good bike.  Still the higher octane runs about $2.15 and is affordable for a bike.  Have been on bikes for about 35 years but won't drive one in Ecuador.  Road lines there are typically used to steer by.  Put the center of your vehicle between those pretty yellow lines!  If I could, I'd drive a tank!