Importing a motorcycle

I am heading to South America for an extended holiday and want to ship a motorocyle into Ecuador. I done believe that foreigners with a resident Visa can do it but what about a foreigner on vacation? Can they import without duties? Can anynone point me to the regulations?

I found this very useful guide to shipping motorcycles, quite detailed. A wooden crate would be necessary.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-re … g-the-bike

One of the comments on the article, dated Sept. 29, 2014:

"I work for a freight forwarder in Quito Ecuador  you can contact me at [email protected]      I have done it so many times.  First, take measurements of your bike. Second, the bottom part of the box is key, that is where all the weight will go. Increase one inch in each side and have the wooden box prepared.  so the bottom is key and then the walls and the top will follow. Here, if you want to save some money, take the front weel off. The bike will bend frontward. Have the axl be set on a wood piece so it does not get damage. Wood has to be certified for export.  Aprox cost USD 450.00 here in Ecuador.  good luck.
Submitted by dialcargo2009"

Good luck on your trip.

Cool. I plan on getting the factory shipping crate and that is exactly what they do - take the front wheel off and ship it like that. The piece I am fuzzy on is will I have to pay import duties. The reason for shpping is that I can ship both ways for about 1000 and the bike costs 6000 here and 10,000 in Ecuador plus I cab get it fiited here for GPS, mapping etc. as my friend owns a company thqat does that for bikes. Can you comment on whether I will have to pay duties?

I gather from reading that article that it is all but impossible to ship a motorcycle without using a freight forwarding service.

So you need to round up such a service and I'm sure they can line out all the costs for you.