Thinking about moving to Iceland

Hallo everyone,

I just came across this forum and have read mostly all the previous posts. Hereby I would like to introduce myself a bit and ask a few questions.

I am strongly fascinated by North Europe since I was young. Being a literature/language major+freak, I am attracted by Iceland's unique language. Ive heard about that Iceland government offered scholarships for foreign students learning Icelandic, and I wanted to apply it so much! But unfortunately its not provide for the students of my country anymore. I also tried to apply for exchange student in University of Iceland, however with my not-so-good GPA i failed in the selection process : (

My dream for Iceland never stops. Now I am still seeking any opportunity to live/work/study in this amazing land. I am an EEA citizen's spouse currently living in Vienna, Austria. From my primary research, as an EU citizen's spouse (holding Austria residence permit for 5 years) I dont need another visa to live/work in Iceland, just need to register with local administration...is that correct?

I have a B.A in foreign languages and literatures (mainly English/Russian/literature/linguistics...), a Chinese Mandarin native speaker and speaking fluent English, basic German+Russian+Japanese. I dont speak Icelandic yet but with a strong will to learn. (just started online) I have worked three years in a hand-made chocolate shop, from making chocolate to selling. Also had some short summer jobs abroad experiences. Now I am freelance translating plus teaching Chinese Mandarin.

As I read from the previous posts, the job opportunities in Iceland are mainly built upon connections. I tried to google about some job vacancies but seems not so much, so is it really so hard to get a job without knowing any local people? Does Chinese-speaking (+English) work will possibly have any chances?  Or should I just try to email to the Icelandic companies and self-selling?

Studying might be another option. I am quite interested in the BA program- Icelandic as a second foreign language or MA program - Viking Medieval studies (old Icelandic!!) in University of Iceland. But I dont know if my chances to get admitted with be high with my bad grades back in university.

I would deeply appreciate if anyone could give me some advices regarding these. Thank you very much in advance.

Bests,
Ting

Hey Ting,

I am in the midst of applying to UI and would recommend you try doing so - deadline is 1st Feb.
I do think you have a good chance since you are from EEA plus you already have BA and know many languages. Note that if you take higher studies, most are taught in English then you can minor in Icelandic as practical language or something along this line.

That is a huge edge over me cos I am coming from Singapore and undergraduate programs are all in Icelandic.

Anyway, do check out the UI course modules on their website, very helpful!